Resolving Grievances

The purpose of such procedures is to attempt to resolve internally all types of grievances at the level where they occur and in a timely manner. It is advantageous to students, faculty, staff, and administration to keep communications open and to contact someone immediately if a situation is escalating.

Students with disabilities are responsible for contacting Student
Accessibility Services if reasonable accommodations are not implemented in an
effective or timely way. Faculty who wish for reconsideration of an
accommodation should also contact the Student Accessibility Services Specialists. This should be done no later than one week after the
accommodation is scheduled to be implemented.

If an agreement cannot be reached informally, an individual may file a
written complaint with the Student Accessibility Services Specialist who
will conduct a thorough investigation that allows all interested persons an
opportunity to submit evidence relevant to the complaint.

At least three members of the OnPar Committee will review the gathered
evidence, meet with all parties in the dispute with their permission, and
decide upon a fair plan of action. A written determination as to the
validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, will
be issued by the Student Accessibility Services Speciailst to the
complainant and other concerned parties no later than 10 workdays after the
filing of the grievance.

If the grievance is against the Student Accessibility Services Specialist,
the above procedures will be followed except that the initial complaint
should be made with the Director of the Academic Support Center.

If dissatisfied with the resolution, the complainant may request a
reconsideration by contacting the College’s ADA Coordinator within 10
workdays of the resolution. Accommodations in question will continue to be
provided until a final contrary decision is made.

Files and records will be kept in the student’s “secure” folder in the
Student Accessibility Services office for 7 years after the student’s proposed
graduation date.

While it is hoped the student can resolve a grievance within the campus
process, he/she has the right to file any grievance directly to the Office
of Civil Rights at any time. The Statute of Limitations for filing a
complaint with OCR is 180 days from the time the incident occurred.