Faculty Writing Support

The CILA Faculty Writing program, modeled after the successful Boldt Writing Retreats, provides opportunities for St. Olaf faculty to focus on their scholarly writing: to develop a work-in-progress, revise a conference presentation for publication, incorporate feedback before submitting an article to a refereed journal, polish a grant application, or perhaps revisit and revise a rejected manuscript. The retreats, open to faculty from all disciplines and Faculties, provide structured writing time in a distraction-free atmosphere among supportive colleagues and with an expert facilitator.

The CILA Summer Writing Retreat is a week-long retreat in early June designed to help faculty transition to their summer writing projects. Participants meet every day in an off-campus house (currently Larson House) as a group for coaching, editing, inspiration and support, and then work individually on projects. Breakfast, lunch, and refreshments are included, as well as an opening and closing dinner. A few residential positions are available for those who may wish to stay overnight during the retreat. All participants receive a modest stipend. Opportunities for follow-up are also available through the program.

Comments from previous CILA Summer Writing Retreat participants:

• “I learned about my own writing process… I kick-started my writing for the summer and got to write in a supportive context.  I met interesting colleagues!”
  • “The long blocks of writing time and the conversation with other members of the group… benefited me the most. The writing time helped me accomplish a lot of tangible work.”
  • “The retreat atmosphere really builds a sense of camaraderie and as a result I feel more connected to colleagues in other departments.”
  • I was able to write a lot during the retreat…. [it] gave me my momentum.”