Online Resources for the First Days of Class
- “The First Day of Class” – Center for Teaching and Learning, University of Washington.
- “Some Specific Approaches for the First Day of Class” – Peter Frederick, Wabash College.
- “101 Things You Can Do in the First Three Weeks of Class” – Office of Graduate Studies, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- “Getting Started” – Richard Felder and Rebecca Brent, North Carolina State University.
- “The First Day and Week of Class: Instructional Strategies” – Joe Cuseo, Marymount College.
Resources in the CILA Resource Library:
“The First Days of Class” in Barbara Gross Davis, Tools for Teaching (pp. 37-47). Jossey-Bass, 2nd edition, 2009.
“Meeting a Class for the First Time” in Svinicki and McKeachie, McKeachie’s Teaching Tips: Strategy, Research and Theory for College and University Teachers (pp. 19-25). Wadsworth, 14th edition, 2011.
Angela Provitera McGlynn, Successful Beginnings for College Teaching: Engaging Your Students from the First Day. Atwood Publishing, 2001.