Online Resources for the First Day of Class
- “The First Day of Class,”
Tools for Teaching, Barbara Gross Davis, University of California at Berkeley.
- The First Day of Class
Center for Instructional Development and Research, University of Washington.
- “Some Specific Approaches for the First Day of Class,” Peter Frederick, Wabash College.
- Preparing a Course: First Day of Class
Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Kansas
- The Most Important Day: Starting Well Delivee L. Wright, Teaching and Learning Center, University of Nebraska
- Getting Started
Richard Felder and Rebecca Brent (North Carolina State University)
- The First Day and Week of Class: Instructional Strategies
Joe Cuseo, Marymount College
Also in the CILA Resource Library:
Teaching Tips: Strategy, Research and Theory for College and University Teachers.
Marilla Svinicki and Wilbert J. McKeachie, Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 13th Edition, 2010 (pp. 21-28)
On Course: A Week-by-Week Guide to Your First Semester of College Teaching. James M. Lang, Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2008 (pp. 21-42)
Successful Beginnings for College Teaching: Engaging Your Students from the First Day. Angela Provitera McGlynn, Madison: Atwood Publishing, 2001.