Summer Research With CURI
Procedures and Criteria for Summer Research Projects Reviewed by the CURI Advisory Committee
2013 Timeline & Process
- January 14, 2013 – Faculty proposals for Summer Research Program due
- CURI Advisory Committee reviews proposals
- February 11 – CURI Advisory Committee meets to finalize project approval
- February 15 – Summer Research Program descriptions posted to CURI website for students to review; student online application opens
- March 1 – Student applications for Summer Research Program due
- March 22 – Faculty selections of student researchers finalized
Following the January 14 deadline for faculty proposals, project descriptions will be reviewed by the CURI Advisory Committee. CURI will contact you if additional information is needed about your proposal during this process. Approved proposals will be posted online by February 15. Students will be invited to peruse the descriptions, identify the project or projects for which they would like to be considered, and apply for a summer research stipend ($430 per week plus housing for 9-10 weeks) online by March 1. At that time, CURI will provide you a list of students who expressed interest in your project and you can identify the student(s) with whom you would like to work. Please do not make promises to students.
Criteria for Funding
CURI funding will depend upon the following criteria as well as the demand expressed by students once proposals are opened for application.
- The Advisory Committee will aim for diversity in disciplines funded.
- We will give preference to research proposals that align with the faculty member’s scholarly activity. This program is not for independent study.
- We expect proposals to specify the benefit to the student. CURI’s goal is to support authentic collaborations between faculty and students, not projects that put the student in the role of simply a worker.
- We will look for the potential for disseminating the results of the summer’s research.
- Ultimately we will only fund projects for which students apply. If you have someone already in mind the student must still complete the online application.