Academic Internships: Earning English Credit
Contact: Rebecca Richards, English Department Internship Coordinator
Ex. 3204 email@example.com RML 403
Students can earn course credit through the English department for certain off-campus internships, mainly those in the fields of journalism and publishing. To be approved, the internship must primarily involve writing, editing, research, or reading (the latter two related to writing, journalism, or literature). The department will not approve internships involving more than incidental work in marketing, marketing research, telemarketing, data entry, web design, computer work, answering phones, or clerical work.
Students can earn credit for up to two internships. The first internship is given the course number English 294; a second is English 394, which requires more substantial written work than at Level II.
A student who wants to earn academic credit in the English department should proceed as follows:
- Secure an internship for the upcoming interim, spring, or summer. For help with finding an internship, contact Sandy Malecha, CEL associate director for academic internships, at 3268, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact the department internship director or department chair to ask about the suitability of the internship for course credit in the English department.
- Find a faculty member to act as your on-campus internship supervisor.
- Take the required forms for academic credit to your faculty supervisor to work out the goals of the internship and settle on the written work to be completed for academic credit. Forms are available at the Registrar and the CEL office.
- Meet the English department chair to request final approval.
For a detailed policy on internships, see “Internships” in the St. Olaf College Catalog under Special Registrations: