The Flaten Art Barn

The Flaten Art Barn, which opened the fall of 2013 in its new location adjacent to the wind turbine, is a reconstruction of a 1932 building that served as the first home of the college’s Art Department. It is named after its designer/builder and the founder of what is now the Department of Art and Art History, Arnold Flaten.

In its new life the Flaten Art Barn will play host to a variety of activities. In addition to serving as a space for classes — the first of which included an environmental studies course and a folk school course — the Art Barn can be utilized as a retreat center, all-day meeting room, and a conference building.

The new Art Barn was built using methods and materials designed to make the building as self-sustaining as possible, and as a result it requires very little energy to maintain temperature and lighting.

Read more about the facility in this news story about its dedication …