The Department of Romance Languages (French and Spanish Sections) recognizes outstanding achievement in our students by conferring departmental distinction on those who distinguish themselves in their work toward the major and who successfully complete a formal distinction project.
- senior-year standing
- minimum overall GPA at St. Olaf of 3.5
- minimum GPA in French of 3.75
- written and oral language proficiency in French on the distinction topic at the advanced level or above
- analytical and critical thinking abilities sufficient to enable independent work
- demonstrated capacity to produce work of significant merit