Honors Day 2020

Donor Recognition

Over the years, donors have generously endowed 785 scholarship funds, paving the way for thousands of students to achieve academic success at St. Olaf. During the 2019–20 academic year, endowed scholarships helped 853 students get a St. Olaf education. These students received a combined $7,734,897 in scholarship support. Thank you!

A message from President David R. Anderson ’74

Greetings, Generous Donors of Endowed Scholarships at St. Olaf College!

I hope that you and your loved ones are all well.

I am sorry that we cannot gather on campus this year for our Honors Day celebration. This is the day when we celebrate the accomplishments of our students, we applaud the faculty who have taught and mentored them, and we thank all of you who through your generous gifts to create endowed scholarships have opened the way to St. Olaf for these students. It’s too important an occasion to succumb to the pandemic. Welcome to Virtual Honors Day!

The support you provide to our students has never been more critical.  The pandemic has upended nearly every aspect of our lives, and the economic dislocations for our students and their families are particularly severe. Your endowments stand resolute against dislocation, providing continuous, steady support for the students who need it most. Thank you.

The College also stands resolute in these anxious times.  We will face challenges in the coming months until the pandemic has subsided, but the fundamentals are strong. Our enrollments are holding steady, our financial position remains stable, our faculty and staff are working hard and creatively to support our students, and giving to the College remains strong. We are grateful for the words of encouragement from Oles around the world who, even amidst a global health emergency, take time to think about their college.

I look forward eagerly to the day when we can gather again on the Hill.  Until then, best wishes, and many thanks. Be well.

David R. Anderson ’74
President

Student Speaker Erica Rempert ’20

Erica Rempert ’20 is a nursing major and studied biology on the Ecuador Interim trip. She is active in many on-campus music organizations, including the Manitou Singers, Chapel Choir, and the St. Olaf Orchestra. In addition, Erica takes pride in her work as a Peer Educator in the Wellness Center and a Zumba facilitator for students, staff and faculty with St. Olaf Recreation. She is a recipient of the Lars and Helga Boe Endowed Scholarship and the John K. and Shirley Bell Grotting Endowed Scholarship. After graduation, Erica plans to work as a registered nurse in the Twin Cities area.

Student Speaker Ariel Mota Alves ’20

Ariel Mota Alves ’20 is an economics and political science major with a concentration in international relations. He interned at the Embassy of Timor-Leste in D.C. through the Public Affairs Conversation program, serves as SGA Vice President, and participated in the St. Olaf Global Semester. As the 2019 Recipient of the Davis Projects for Peace, he organized a summer camp in Dili, Timor-Leste for high school students focused on civic engagement, youth empowerment, and conflict resolution. After graduation, Ariel will continue his studies as an East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellow and M.A. Political Science candidate at the University of Hawai`i at Mānoa.

Hear What Our Students Have to Say

Alden Aaberg ’20Thank you for your generosity. I would not be able to attend St. Olaf without your support. I have learned so much over the past four years, and it is a result of your spirit of giving.

Jasmine Alvarado ’21Your donation has made a serious impact on my life because without it I probably would not be attending St. Olaf now and I would not have the amazing support and encouragement I have here. You have allowed me to focus on my education, and less on the financial burden that college poses to so many students.

Hana Anderson ’20Thank you so much for your commitment to student engagement here at St. Olaf. Your generous gifts have personally impacted my experience as a student outside of the classroom in Japan! I hope to pass on my love for St. Olaf to future students and to grow the amazing alumni network that already exists!

Sabrina Barboza ’21I wanted to say thank you so much for your generosity. Thank you for helping me achieve my family’s dream of going to college. You are very much a part of my journey and I will be eternally grateful to you all.

Emily A. Bukowski ’20Without donors like yourselves my dreams of becoming an Ole would not have come true. The person I am today is not the same person who walked on to the St. Olaf campus in 2016. St. Olaf has given me confidence, a passion for others and most importantly a home away from home.

Lauren Dahl ’21Thank you for supporting my education at St. Olaf College. I feel so blessed to be able to experience life and learning at St. Olaf — truly a special place. I am so grateful.

Patricia Davila ’20Thank you for contributing to my education at St. Olaf. I absolutely love this college, campus, and people and wouldn’t be able to attend without your scholarship. Thank you!

Melissa Estrada ’22Thank you so much for your generous contribution toward my education. You have made the world open so many opportunities for me, and I will always be extremely thankful. Again, thank you for helping me chase my dreams.