International Student Orientation

When is International student orientation?
What day do I have to arrive? What if I arrive before August 27, 2013?
Where will I meet the St. Olaf representative?
What airline is recommended?
If I arrive by car, when/where should I go once on campus?
Can I arrive on campus earlier than August 27, 2013?
Whom do I contact in case of an emergency?
How do I send baggage?
Where will I be staying when I arrive?
Who will my roommate be?
What happens after the international student orientation (Week One)?

August 27 – August 31, 2013 will be a special orientation for new international students and American Third Culture Kids. Time will be spent introducing you to St. Olaf College, American college life, immigration and visa regulations, health services, academic requirements, banking, etc. International Student Counselors who have been specially trained will help you through your adjustment and finding your way around the campus.

All new international students should arrive in Northfield on Tuesday, August 27, 2013. Students arriving by air should book flights into the Minneapolis (MSP) airport on August 27. Flights will be met by a college representative on that day only. Please complete the Arrival Form in StudioAborad, by July 31, 2013 so that a shuttle schedule can be arranged.

When you arrive at the Minneapolis airport, proceed to the baggage claim area at the Lindbergh terminal (Terminal 1). Please wait for your international student counselor (wearing a St. Olaf T-shirt or holding a St. Olaf welcome sign) inside, near Door #6.

What airline is recommended?

There is not one recommended airline, but note that Delta Airlines does have daily flights to Minneapolis from Amsterdam, London, Toronto, Tokyo, etc.

If you are coming by car, plan to arrive on campus after 3 p.m. Please check-in at Buntrock Commons Crossroads (regardless of what residence hall you have been assigned to). The International Student Counselors will be there to welcome you. For maps and directions to the campus visit this site.

No. We regret that housing is not available at the college before August 27 (except for students involved in pre-season athletics).

Keep these telephone numbers handy.  They may be useful to you in the event of airline changes or other emergencies.

International Student Coordinator:
1-507-786-3995

Emergency Cell Phone Number  – Will be answered beginning August 27th at 8:00 am through August 31, 2013
1-507- 403-9142

Sindy Fleming, Director of Multicultural Affairs & International Student Life:
1-507-786-3060

Dean of Students’ Office:
1-507-786-3615

Direct St. Olaf College Number:
1-507-786-2222

Buntrock Commons Office:
1-507-786-3017 (For August 28 only)

How do I send baggage?

You are encouraged to bring all your baggage with you. Sending baggage separately is usually costly and may involve customs clearance. If you choose to mail small packages, address the packages as follows:

Your Name
St. Olaf College
1500 St. Olaf Avenue
Northfield, MN 55057-1001
USA

Where will I be staying when I arrive?

During our orientation days, most international students will be housed in their assigned residence hall (or honor house if you are a language assistant) after checking into Buntrock Commons. Some students, such as language house exchange students, may stay in Larson Hall until their Language Honor House is available. Please pack your belongings in such a way that the few things you need during your first week on campus will be easily accessible. Your roommate(s) may not arrive on-campus until the beginning of Week One, if you are a first-year student, or until returning students are permitted back on-campus.

Who will my roommate be?

During the summer you will receive information about your residence hall and roommate from the Residence Life Office. (Please be sure the International Student Coordinator or Director has a summer address for you.)

What happens after the international student orientation?

On Saturday, August 31, the campus will come to life as about 800 first-year and transfer students arrive on campus. On Saturday afternoon, “Week One” begins. This is a week of introduction to college life for all new students. Lectures, films, and music will stimulate you to think about the liberal arts education you are beginning at St. Olaf. Meetings with your Academic Advisor and the faculty of various academic departments will enable you to learn more about courses offered throughout the college. Social activities will introduce you to students from all over the United States. Soon you will also receive the schedule of Week One events. Additional information about Week One can be found here.