Each year 10 exceptional student leaders are selected to serve as an International Student Counselor. The International Student Counselors (ISC) are dedicated to enhancing the international student experience at St. Olaf. ISCs facilitate International Student Orientation and are a valued resource to incoming international students. International Student Counselors also support the Center for Multicultural and International Engagement in planning interactive programs throughout the academic year to enhance international engagement on campus.
Meet the 2015-2016 International Student Counselors here!
Becoming an International Student Counselor
A full job description can be found here.
- Serve as an International Student Counselor for the entire academic year.
- Be present at all training sessions, International Student Orientation program, International Student Banquet and other required events.
- Attend weekly meetings with the CMIE Assistant Director.
- Minimum of 2.25 cumulative GPA.
- Basic understanding and knowledge of St. Olaf campus resources.
- Reliable, responsible, flexible, positive, willingness to help, and strong communication skills.
- Communicate with incoming international students over the summer, prior to their arrival at St. Olaf.
- Support and encourage all new international students throughout their transition to campus and acquaint them with U.S culture, campus resources, and other activities and opportunities.
- Serve as a leader and role model to all international students.
- Establish and maintain open communication with the CMIE Assistant Director
- Assist in the development and implementation of international student focused programs and events.
- Communicate effectively with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Required Dates (2016-2017)
- Spring Training (1 day training in late April – TBD)
- International Student Orientation Training (August 27 – 29, 2016)
- International Student Orientation Program (August 30 – September 2, 2016)
- Week One Check-in (September 7, 2016)
- Mid-Semester Check-in (October 25,2016 — tentative)
- Follow-up Orientation (January 17, 2017 — tentative)
International Student Counselor Application Process
- Complete and submit the International Student Counselor Application online OR a paper copy in person to the Center for Multicultural and International Engagement
Paper Application (applications for 2016-2017 closed)
Applications are due by 5PM Wednesday, March 2, 2016
- Successful candidates will be contacted by March 4 to set up an interview with CMIE staff (interviews will take place between March 7 – 11).
- Final decisions will be made by Friday, March 18, 2016.
For any questions or concerns, please contact Emiko Oonk, CMIE Assistant Director, at email@example.com (BC111)