IT recommends Microsoft Security Essentials as an anti-virus software. All personally owned PC computers must install anti-virus software to use the St. Olaf network. Microsoft Security Essentials can be dowloaded free online at www.microsoft.com/security_essentials. For help installing and running Security Essentials, click the link below.
Preventing or Eliminating Viruses
To prevent a virus, or eliminate threats on your personal computer, IT recommends Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes can be downloaded for free online at www.malwarebytes.org. For help installing and running Malwarebytes, click the link below.
Tips for Safe Computing
- Ensure that you have an up-to-date anti-virus software package installed and enabled. Make sure the virus definitions are current and auto-protect is turned on. IT recommends Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Install anti-malware software and scan periodically. IT recommends Malwarebytes.
- Update virus definitions weekly.
- Run scans weekly.
- Ensure that you have all critical updates for your operating system. Update instructions for Mac or Windows.
- Switch to Mozilla Firefox for web browsing. Firefox is generally considered more secure and less vulnerable to attacks than other browsers.
- Clear your temporary internet files at least once a month.