Essential and Emerging Technologies
- 2013 Horizon Report (web, New Media Consortiums & EDUCAUSE)
- Previous Horizon Reports: 2012 / 2011 / 2010 / 2009 / 2008
- Top 100 Learning Tools (slideshare presentation, Jane Hart)
- Handbook of Emerging Technologies for Learning (George Siemens, Peter Tittenberger, 2009)
Instructional Technology Articles
- “Teacher Educators Teaching and Learning Together: A Collaborative Self-Study of Support within an Online Literacy Learning Community” (web, Mar. 2011, Journal of Online Learning and Teaching)
- Educating the Net Generation (web / e-book, EDUCAUSE)
- “Seven Principles of Effective Teaching: A Practical Lens for Evaluating Online Courses” (web, Univ. of North Carolina, 2001)
- “Implementing the Seven Principles: Technology as Lever” (Chickering and Ehrmann, 1996)
- “A Synthesis of Sloan-C Effective Practices for Online Learning” (Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks)
- “10 Steps for Working Smarter with Social Media” (web, Jane Hart)
Instructional Technology Departments
- Information Technology, St. Olaf College
- Academic Technologies, Carleton College
Links: About / Resources and Tutorials / Contact
- Information and Technology Services, Pacific Lutheran University
Links: Getting Started with Technology / Support / A-Z /
- Information Technology, Augsburg College
Links: Get Help / Google Apps for Edu / IT News / Services
- Learning and Scholarly Technologies, University of Washington
Links: About LST / Help Center / Workshops / Profiles of Technology Use
- Learning Technology Labs, Notre Dame
Links: Technologies / Blog / Overview / Training
- Library and Information Services, Luther College
Best links: Training and Instruction / Training Options / Training Articles / Training Schedule
- Office of Information Technology, University of Minnesota
Links: Moodle Support / Google Apps / Licensed Software / Tech Training Center / Courses / TechStop
Instructional Technology Journals
- EDUCAUSE Quarterly
The EDUCAUSE Quarterly is an online, peer-reviewed journal about managing and using information resources in higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Review
The EDUCAUSE Review is print and online magazine for the higher education IT community that reports on current developments and trends in information technology and their effects on higher education and society.
- Journal of Online Teaching and Learning
The Journal of Online Learning and Teaching (JOLT) is a peer-reviewed, online publication from MERLOT addressing the scholarly use of multimedia resources in online education.
Instructional Technology Organizations
- Academic Commons
Academic Commons is sponsored by the Center of Inquiry in the Liberal Arts at Wabash College and aims to share knowledge, develop collaborations, and evaluate and disseminate digital tools and innovative practices for teaching and learning with technology.
- Center for Applied Special Technology (CAST)
CAST is a nonprofit research and development organization that works to expand learning opportunities for all individuals, especially those with disabilities, through Universal Design for Learning.
Links: Universal Design for Learning (UDL) / Online Training Modules for UDL)
EDUCAUSE is a nonprofit association whose mission is to advance higher education by promoting the intelligent use of information technology.
Links: EDUCAUSE Resources / EDUCAUSE Quarterly / EDUCAUSE Review / EDUCAUSE Podcasts
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI)
The EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative is a community of higher education institutions and organizations committed to advancing learning through information technology innovation. While EDUCAUSE serves those interested in advancing higher education through technology, ELI specifically explores innovative technologies and practices that advance learning.
Links: Series – 7 Things You Should Know About… / ELI Workshop and Technology Guides / ELI Events
- Learning Technology Consortium (LTC)
The Learning Technology Consortium was initiated in 1998 by the University of Pittsburgh and is a partnership of institutions with similar instructional goals, strong technology and faculty support programs, and an interest in collaboration in the area of teaching and learning with technology.
Links: Essays on Teaching with Technology
- Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT)
MERLOT is a free, online community designed for faculty, staff and students of higher education from around the world. MERLOT provides a user-centered collection of peer-reviewed, online learning materials and a set of faculty development support services.
Links: Digital case story repository with 70 discipline-specific multimedia stories
- New Media Consortium (NMC)
The New Media Consortium is an international, not-for-profit consortium of learning-focused organizations dedicated to the exploration and use of new media and new technologies.
Links: Horizon Project / News / Initiatives
- National Institute for Technology in Liberal Education (NITLE)
NITLE helps liberal arts colleges and universities integrate inquiry, pedagogy, and technology.
Links: Case Studies / Communities / Techne Blog / NITLE on Twitter
- Sloan Consortium
The Sloan Consortium is an institutional and professional leadership organization dedicated to integrating online education into the mainstream of higher education, helping institutions and individual educators improve the quality, scale, and breadth of education.
Links: Blogs / Effective Practices / Events / Twitter