What is WordPress?
WordPress is an open-source content management system that can be used to create websites, blogs, or a combination of the two. Many institutions host their own WordPress sites, but there are also independent online hosting services available at WordPress.com and WPengine.com.
How is WordPress used at St. Olaf?
At St. Olaf, we have two installations of WordPress, the first for official college pages and the second for course sites, research projects, event pages, or personal sites for students, faculty, and staff. This page focuses on the latter use of WordPress.
- Web Address: http://pages.stolaf.edu/
- Login Page: http://pages.stolaf.edu/wp-admin (Log in with your St. Olaf username and password)
- CIS Portfolios (Student Portfolios)
- Asia Forecast 2014 (Asian Con Research Projects)
- Expanded Media (Art Course Blog)
- Creative Non-Con (Learning Community Website)
- English 150 (Writer Portfolios)
- Summer Institute 2013 (IT Workshop Website)
- Intersections (IT and Library Blog)
- Theater in London (Theater Course Blog)
- St. Olaf Learning Communities (Learning Community Website)
- Cliff Notes: Baodingshan (Faculty Research Site)
- Theater 271, Spring 2014 (Course Site)
- Faculty Site
How can I get help with WordPress for Course Sites and Individual Sites?
- Request a Site: If you are a current St. Olaf student, faculty member, or staff member, you may request a WordPress site by filling out the WordPress Request Form.
- Support Options:
Individual consultations or customized workshops for courses.
IT Open Lab: Mon.-Thurs., 3:00-5:00 p.m., RML 250
IT Workshops: Register in LEARN / Check the IT Workshop Calendar.
- WordPress Support Staff:
Nancy Aarsvold, Assistant Director of Instructional Technology (ext. 3550 / aarsvoln)
Ben Gottfried, Multimedia Instructional Technologist (ext. 3613 / bdg)
How can I learn to use WordPress for Course Sites and Individual Sites?
- Atomic Learning Video Tutorials: WordPress 3.3 (Mac / PC)
- St. Olaf How-To Guide: WordPress for Course Sites, Resarch Projects, and Personal Sites
- Introducing WordPress
- Logging in and using the dashboard
- Adding pages and posts
- Adding images to pages and posts
- Adding videos to pages and posts
- Adjusting the settings
- Creating a navigation menu
- Choosing a theme
- Adding sidebar widgets
- Activating plugins
- Adding image galleries
- Creating SlideDeck slideshows