How important is the quality of the recording?
How do I make a recording?
May I edit my recording?
What recording format should I use?
What should I include on my music resumé?
• Your private study for the past three years and principal and secondary instruments — include teachers’ names, dates of study, and repertoire studied and performed
• Large ensemble experiences in the past four years—include school, church, community and regional ensembles, and names of the conductors
• Chamber music experience and repertoire performed
• Musical honors or awards (including all-state ensembles, adjudicated contests, etc.)
• Other information that you feel is relevant to your application
Most students arrange information either chronologically or by subject. Your high school experiences are the most relevant.
Do I need a pianist on my audition recording?
Is there a form for the teacher recommendation? May my teacher send the recommendation separately?
When I go to the online music application, it only gives me the option of opening my regular college application. How can I start a new music application?
How many scholarships are awarded?
How many music majors apply and are admitted?
Music Application Timeline
November 1–December 15, 2014
Scholarship and music major applications accepted
via St. Olaf music online music application
Begin (or finish) your St. Olaf College Application for Admission
January 1, 2015
Completed St. Olaf College Application is strongly
encouraged for music applicants.
January 15, 2015
Completed St. Olaf College application for admission
must be on file in the admissions office
January 25, 2015
Audition results and invitations for live auditions are mailed
to all music applicants
February 27-28 and March 13-14, 2015
On-campus auditions for music major and scholarship finalists
Late March 2015
Audition results (admission & award decisions)
mailed to all finalists
May 1, 2015
National Candidate Reply date (date by which all students must
respond to offers of college admission and to scholarship awards)
For more information regarding music scholarships
and/or admission to the music program contact:
Mary Hakes, Music Admissions Coordinator
1520 St. Olaf Ave.
Northfield, MN 55057