Information for Students
1. Consult with the Nursing Department chair as soon as possible to express an interest in the completion of a nursing major.
2. Seek advising assistance to select courses prerequisite to the nursing major. Four prerequisite courses must be completed by the applicant by the end of the fall semester of the sophomore year.
3. In the fall semester of the sophomore year and by appointment, applicants will:
a. Complete an essay
b. Complete an interview
4. Students will be notified of their conditional acceptance into the nursing major by a letter from the Nursing Department chair before spring semester of the sophomore year and will be based on the following criteria:
- Cumulative grade point average after 3 semesters of 2.85 (0-4 points)
- Cumulative grade point average in a minimum of 4 prerequisite courses of 2.70 (0-4 points)
- Essay (0-4 points)
- Interview (0-4 points)
- Student status (enrolled MINC school= 4 points, graduate MINC school = 2 points, transfer = 1 point, graduate non-MINC school = 0.5 points)
5. Conditional acceptance into the nursing major will become final, if students meet the following criteria at the end of the sophomore year:
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.85.
- Prerequisites must be taken for a letter grade, cumulative grade point average 2.70.
- Only one prerequisite course may be below C- and this course (or an alternate course approved by the Nursing Department chair) may be repeated once.
- A minimum grade of C- must be achieved in the repeated or substituted course.
- If a grade of C- is not achieved in the repeated or substituted course, the student may not continue in the major.
- If two or more prerequisite courses are below C- the student may not continue in the major.
6. Students not accepted may choose to be placed on a waiting list and will be notified of their rank on that list. If openings occur, admission will be offered to waiting list students by rank, highest rank first. Students not accepted, may appeal the admission decision to the Dean of the College (see College catalog, Nursing Department section.)
7. Students on the waiting list may reapply for admission to the nursing program the following year. They will be considered in the next pool of applicants but will not be guaranteed admission because they apply a second time.
8. The nursing major begins in the fall semester of the junior year.