St. Olaf College of Nursing Alumni Comments

The liberal arts base of the St. Olaf nursing program provides the St. Olaf nurse with an intangible advantage. There is an understanding of life and oneself gained from studying language, literature and religion.

I chose St. Olaf due to the reputation of the nursing program.

Reasons for transferring into St. Olaf were because of the highly recommended nursing program. Had I not chosen nursing as a major, I would have remained at the college where I previously was enrolled.

I came to St. Olaf because of the nursing major within a Christian liberal arts school program.

I chose St. Olaf for having a good combination of attributes difficult to find in other nursing programs: good liberal arts, excellent foreign studies program, a chance to live both in an urban area and in a rural area.

Originally I came to St. Olaf for the pre-med program and then switched to nursing during the second semester of my freshman year, when I saw the nursing curriculum of one of my friends and it looked exciting.

Nursing was the last profession I sought, however, after digging into it I became hooked — applied half way through my freshman year.

I felt St. Olaf would give me a good education. If I hadn’t been accepted into nursing as a freshman I still would have come to St. Olaf and be put on a waiting list to get into nursing.

I already had a degree from St. Olaf before returning as a nursing student.

I was interested in St. Olaf because of its size, academic reputation and community setting, but the deciding factor was the nursing program.

St. Olaf is an excellent liberal arts college which challenges the student in whatever field he/she may pursue.

I was impressed by the program of nursing at St. Olaf; its clinical experiences in Minneapolis and its philosophy of nursing.

I am convinced that while at St. Olaf in the nursing major, I acquired an essential framework from which I could learn and grow as a person and a nurse.

Study/service programs, the number one strength, makes St. Olaf unique. The¬†variety of clinical experiences, especially inner-city agencies and med-centers — great strengths.

The personal interest of the faculty was terrific. St. Olaf nursing faculty really influences your attitude as a graduate nurse.

Important to feel a part of the college campus life as a senior. Excellent relationships in my class. Excellent professional, theory-oriented curriculum. Knowledgeable professional faculty with activity in the profession other than teaching. The faculty propelled many in my class into higher levels of the nursing profession than as a staff RN by their encouragement and examples.

I appreciated the faculty’s asking for feedback regarding ways of improving the program.

Many of the strengths are found in the high quality nursing instructors and the instructor-student relationships and ratio.

A major strength was working in a large metropolitan area such as Minneapolis and seeing many different cases which don’t always surface in a small town. The low faculty-student ratio also encouraged a much closer relationship.

My nursing experiences were my best at St. Olaf, especially being abroad. If I had my choice, I’d have been off campus more.

A most significant aspect was my experience as an international studies student in the term in the Middle East. It’s very difficult to be able to get an experience like that in most nursing programs.

I feel the nursing faculty really cared about the students and one could easily discuss any problems with them.

I feel the strongest point is the student-faculty relationships. Whenever I had a problem there was always a professor eager to help me out.

I find that the one most important thing that has set me above the crowd wherever I have worked is the professionalism and philosophy instilled in me by the Nursing Department, the nursing faculty and St. Olaf College itself.

I liked the emphasis on independence in the nursing profession, assertiveness, self-respect, striving to improve oneself. The experiences we were able to choose in Minneapolis were most beneficial to show the variety of options.

My liberal arts base and the importance it played in my development as a person in my college years are what make me a good nurse today, not necessarily the strength of the nursing program. Strengths of the program: stressing leadership in your job; being a caring, thinking, responsible person.