How Long Are You Contagious? Even before you feel sick you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else.
- Most healthy adults are able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick.
- Some people, especially young children and people with weakened immune systems, might be able to infect others for an even longer time.
Therefore, it is prudent to practice proper health hygiene throughout the flu season to lessen the chance of contracting the flu and to minimize the adverse affects to others should you become ill.
Cover your Cough!!
- Besides the fact that it is simply polite, this is the most effective method to lessen the chance of infecting another person.
- Watch this short, amusing, and informative video on the proper way to cough/sneeze: Why Don’t We Do It in Our Sleeves.
Concerned that you may have the Seasonal Flu?
- Then please contact St. Olaf Health Service (-3063)