Delta of Minnesota – Charter Members
On September 2, 1949, eight members of the faculty were granted permission to establish a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa at St. Olaf College. As the fourth chapter to be instituted in Minnesota (after the Alpha Chapter at the University of Minnesota in 1892, the Beta Chapter at Carleton College in 1914, and the Gamma Chapter at the College of St. Catherine in 1938), it was called the Delta of Minnesota.
The Delta of Minnesota chapter was installed on November 4, 1949 (designated as “Liberal Arts Day”) during the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the College’s founding on November 6, 1874. Dr. Laurence Gould, President of Carleton College, ran the ceremony and presented the official charter, which now hangs in the reference room of Rølvaag Library.
Charter Members of the Delta of Minnesota
|Julius Boraas -||Clarence Clausen -||Albert Finholt -||Karen Larsen|
|Agnes Larson -||Helen Luvaas -||Paul Schmidt -||Hildegarde Stielow|