Assessing & Exploring Careers

Finding a career path may seem easy for some people and yet the hardest decision in the world for others. Everybody goes about the process differently and makes the choices they make for very different reasons. There is no “one right answer,” and more than one major can lead to the same type of work. It’s important to remember that it’s okay to not know what to do after St. Olaf-to explore and take your time to find out where your interests, values and skills really lie before jumping into something you’re not sure of. Most people change jobs and careers an average of eight to ten times in their lifetime!

Where Are You in the Process of Developing a Career Path?

Click on one of the statements below that best fits you to find potential resources or answers to your question. Or, look at the bottom of this page to find quick links for information you need.

1. I don’t know what I’m interested in…
  2. I don’t have any idea what types of careers are out there…
  3. I have some career areas in mind but need to know more about them…
  4. I want to know what I can do with my major…
  5. I know my general career direction but not how to get there…
  6. I think I’ve decided on a career direction. How can I be sure I find the right fit?

Descriptions of Careers

• Spotlight on Careers – a Liberal Arts Career NetWORK (LACN) sponsored site for career advice for off-campus use (username: guest01; password: summertime)
    spotlight
  • Vault – Online Career Library – download career guides, research companies, search industries & professions and view “a day in the life of stories”
    vaultLogo
  • O*NET – provides comprehensive occupational descriptions and data
  • Occupational Outlook Handbook – search hundreds of different types of jobs and learn the training and education needed, earnings, expected job prospects, what workers do on the job and working conditions
  • Iseek – Minnesota’s career, education and job resource
  • Career Stories – job descriptions and advice from hundreds of people working in real jobs

Majors Connected With Careers

Other “Exploring” Resources (Visit the Piper Center to find out more about any of these experiential learning opportunities)