The Piper Center is pleased to offer grant awards for students pursuing unpaid or underpaid internships during Interim or the summer. The maximum award is $2,000.
Summer 2015: March 25th
*Depending on available funding there is a possibility that a second deadline will be added. Please check this website on April 1st to see if a second deadline has been added.
Fall Timeline – Interim Application Process
Info Session: February 26th, 11:30am- 12:00pm (location TBA)
Info Session: March 18th, 4:30pm- 5:00pm (location TBA)
Application Deadline: March 25th at 4:30pm
Recipients Notified: by April 1st
Payment Processed : April 17th
Orientation (required): TBD
- Students are only eligible to receive one internship grant award during their time at St. Olaf
- Summer Award: first years, sophomores and juniors are eligible to apply
Interim Award: sophomores, juniors and seniors are eligible to apply
- Minimum hours and duration (Interim): Minimum of 150 hours spanning at least 4 weeks.
- Minimum hours and duration (Summer): Minimum of 240 hours total spanning at least 8 weeks.
- Students who choose to register for academic internship credit must follow guidelines and deadlines for Domestic Academic Internships or International Academic Internships
- Students are generally not allowed to complete internships in countries with State Department travel warnings. Email <piper.center> at least two weeks before the deadline if you would like to apply for special approval to complete an internship in a country with a travel warning.
- Students completing internships on-campus or where the employer would be St. Olaf are not eligible for funding
Application Process and Required Documents
1. Secure an internship (must meet the criteria described above)
Please stop by the Piper Center if you need assistance finding an internship.
2. Request a Confirmation Letter or Email from your internship site with the following information:
- addressed to the intern and including the site supervisor’s name and title;
- a brief description of the intern’s role/responsibilities (bullet points are sufficient);
- confirmation of the time commitment, including start and end dates;
- must appear on the employer’s letterhead or sent directly from the site supervisor’s work
3. Complete the Estimated Budget Worksheet (and print)
4. Complete the Grant Award Application (online form)
– The Grant Award Worksheet allows you to preview the questions that will be asked on the form. (link will be added by February 9th)
5. Complete the Written Statement Form (and print)
6. Update your Resume (and print)
7. Deliver Application Packet to the Piper Center
Application packet must include hard copies of the following documents delivered to the Piper Center by 4:30pm on the due date:
- Confirmation Letter or Email (see criteria above)
- Estimated Budget Worksheet
- Written Statement Form
NOTE: INCOMPLETE PACKETS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
*Students who are currently abroad have the option to email electronic copies of the four documents to <email@example.com>
8. Await Notification from the Piper Center
By two weeks after the application deadline, you will be notified via email whether you received funding, and if so, the amount.
9. Submit Payment Documents (only those that are selected for an award)
Those that are awarded funding will receive several documents that will need to be signed and returned to the Piper Center in order to receive your payment. The grant award will be processed through Accounts Payable, approximately two weeks after the required forms are submitted. Those that are awarded funding and submit the required forms as requested will receive the award via check or direct deposit approximately four to five weeks after the application deadline.
10. Attend one of the Required Internship Orientation Sessions (dates and times listed above)
*Board Reimbursement for Interim (option for students who are not on campus during interim)
See this website for more information. Needs to be completed before the start of the semester.
Terms of Agreement
All grant award recipients are expected to do the following:
- Students who are selected to receive a grant award are required to attend one of two orientation sessions (TBD):
- Complete the minimum hours requirement for Interim or Summer (listed above). Recipients who do not complete the internship as described in their application will be required to pay back the full award amount.
- Complete a post-internship survey.
- Participate in a reflection session and/or panel presentation with other grant recipients upon return to campus.
Funding is made possible through the Boldt Fund for Career Enhancement, the Dalgaard/Korda Family, the Paul and Anne Finstad Family, the Mel George Family, the Salveson Family, and the Harry C. Piper Fund.