The Piper Center is pleased to offer grant awards for sophomores, juniors, and seniors pursuing unpaid or underpaid internships during Interim or the summer. Funding is made possible through the Boldt Fund for Career Enhancement, the Dalgaard/Korda Family, the Paul and Anne Finstad Family, the Mel George Family, the B. Kristine Johnson Family, the Salveson Family, and the Harry C. Piper Fund.
Required Information Session
To apply for a Piper Center Grant Award, students are required to attend an information session during which a Piper Center staff member will review the application process and information about professionalism in the workplace. Applicants for summer 2014 funding have two opportunities to attend an information session (check Ole Career Central for more information): Thursday, April 10, 11:30am – 12:30pm in RNS 310 or Wednesday, April 16, 4-5pm in RNS 310.
Deadlines for Internship Funding
- Interim 2015: November 2014 (exact date TBD)
- Summer 2014: April 18, 2014 at 11:59pm
To view the application and apply, login to Ole Career Central.
- Interim: Any sophomore, junior, or senior enrolled at St. Olaf at the time of application
- Summer: Any first year, sophomore, or junior enrolled at St. Olaf at the time of application (Note: graduating seniors are not eligible to apply for summer internship funding)
- Applicants must be in good academic standing and have maintained professional conduct as a student*
- Internship must include a minimum of 120 hours total spanning a minimum of 8 weeks during summer, or 4 weeks during interim
- Students who choose to register for academic internship credit must follow guidelines for Domestic Academic Internships or International Academic Internships
- Students completing internships on-campus or where the employer would be St. Olaf are not eligible for funding
*Good academic standing means a minimum GPA of 2.0, not on academic probation or academically dismissed according to the Registrar’s Office. Professional conduct is vetted by the Dean of Students Office.
Terms of Agreement
All grant award recipients must complete the following:
- Participate in a reflection session upon return to campus
- Complete a post-internship survey
- Complete a minimum of 120 hours total spanning 8 weeks during summer, or 4 weeks during interim
The maximum award is $2000. Recipients will be awarded funding in the form of a check issued through St. Olaf’s Accounts Payable Office. Once funding has been disbursed, recipients who do not complete the internship as described in their application form will be required to pay back the full award amount.
- Application Form
- Application Information
- Name of Faculty Reference
- Written Statement
- Estimated Itemized Budget – including funds obtained elsewhere being applied to the experience, or in-kind contributions (commuter passes, housing, food, etc.)
- Unofficial Transcript
- Confirmation Letter of Support from Internship Site
- Letter should be addressed to the student intern and must include the site supervisor’s name and title, a description of the internship role/responsibilities, confirmation of time commitment including start and end dates, and explanation of support offered by the site supervisor/employer (e.g. work space, performance feedback, pay, etc.)
- Letter must appear on employer’s letterhead or may be sent directly from site supervisor’s work email address to the student intern, who will include the letter of support with the rest of her/his application materials
How to Apply
- Save your completed application form, resume, unofficial transcript, and letter from site supervisor to a common location.
- To save the transcript, log into the SIS system, choose courses & grades (on the left), then select Grades (on the right) and select “All Courses & Grades – Unofficial Transcript) and then “print” the file as a .pdf.
- Log into Ole Career Central. Click on the Documents tab across the top of the screen. Upload each of your documents (note: upload the application form as a writing sample and the letter from site supervisor as other documents).
- Hover over Jobs & Internships tab across top, select St. Olaf Posted Opportunities. Under Position Type, select Funding Applications.
- Click on “Apply” and select your resume, application, unofficial transcript, and letter from site. Then click Submit. If you have successfully applied, you will see “You have submitted an application for this position” written just under Application Status on the top right.
Assistance uploading documents available at the Piper Center in Tomson 270.
The selection committee will use the following criteria:
- Well-written application materials submitted on time
- Good academic standing
- Information obtained from faculty reference and Dean of Students office will inform final selections
- Priority will be given to students who have not yet received an internship grant award through the Piper Center. Students may receive an internship grant award through the Piper Center for no more than two internship experiences during their time at St. Olaf.
The Piper Center is available to assist you with the process of finding and selecting an internship or with other aspects of the application process. If you are seeking possible internship opportunities, please come by the Piper Center and work with a Peer Advisor to learn strategies for your search. You may also login to Ole Career Central to schedule an appointment with a coach.
If you register for academic internship credit for interim and are off-campus for interim, you may choose “NO BOARD PLAN” in SIS to receive a refund. Any questions about this process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.