Job & Internship Fair Exhibit Booths – 9:00-3:00 Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Individual Interviews – 8:30-4:00 Thursday, February 19, 2015
Minneapolis Convention Center
Links to posting an online resume, parking, directions, schedule of fair, employer list and the special events.
What to expect at the fair:
Pre-Registration required through the Piper Center
The MN Private Colleges Job & Internship Fair is designed to bring employers and students together in a way that allows students the opportunity to explore many different work & internship opportunities, and employers a cost-effective means of meeting highly talented students from Minnesota’s private colleges. The fair is sponsored by 17 private colleges in the state.
The fair includes recruiter representatives from over 150 organizations from business/industry and from the non-profit sector. (Certified teachers have their own fair in April.) The individual organizations each have a booth in the Convention Center on the day of the fair, and students can choose with whom they’d like to make contact.
Registration for this fair will begin in December at the Piper Center!
- Sign up Monday-Friday between 9-5 – Tomson Hall 270.
- Registration Deadline is: Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2014 @ 5pm
- The $15 cost of the fair (Ole Card, cash or check) must be paid at the time you register. Bus transportation is included in this fee.
Once registered, all communication with you about the fair will be through e-mail. Check your messages regularly, and watch for important information.
If you have questions about whether the fair will benefit you, see one of the Piper Center staff members to discuss your specific goals and career direction. A list of companies and organizations registered for the fair and the specific positions they are recruiting for is available on-line. Companies continue to register up to the date of the fair, so plan to check the site regularly!
Preparation For the Job and Internship Fair
Fair Prep Sessions (you must attend one):
Wednesday, Feb. 12, 4-5pm, Tomson Hall 280
Thursday, Feb. 13, 11:30-12:30pm, Tomson Hall 280
Additional Prep Sessions Include:
Resume Workshop –
Tuesday, Feb. 11, 3:30-4:30 pm, Tomson Hall 210
Interviewing Skills Workshop -
Monday, Feb. 17, 3:30-4:30 pm, Tomson Hall 210
Alumni Panel and Networking Event -
Thursday, Feb. 13, 6-8pm in the Sun Ballroom
This is a great opportunity to connect with St. Olaf alums employed by some of the organizations recruiting at the Job and Internship Fair. Get inside information and advice from these alums BEFORE the fair! Heavy appetizers provided.
We urge you to start preparing for the fair early. The Piper Center staff are eager to help you have a good experience; ask us your questions, have us critique your resume, and get our feedback on your benefit statement and answers to interview questions. We will be very busy in January and February, so call early to schedule an appointment.
What employers will expect from students:
There are three separate ways for you to set up individual interviews at the fair. You will want to utilize all three means of connecting with employers.
- Upload a copy of your resume to the mnpcfair.org site. Beginning in January, employers will have access to the resume database so that they can begin reviewing the qualifications of students attending the fair. From January until the fair, employers will be scheduling pre-arranged interviews by contacting you directly.
- E-mail/mail a resume and cover letter using the contact information on the employer list to request a pre-arranged interview (detailed instructions are outlined below). Beginning in January, employers are giving early consideration to those students requesting pre-arranged interviews. This is your chance to target employers of most interest to you and call attention to yourself as the perfect hire for a particular position or internship.
- Market yourself effectively to employers at their exhibit booths on the day of the fair. You will have a very short time – one to three minutes – to make an impression on each recruiter you approach. Employers will meet all interested candidates during the open booth hours and schedule remaining individual interview appointments with selected candidates.