(Click to navigate to the fair website.)
Job & Internship Fair Exhibit Booths – 9:00-3:00 Wednesday, February 17, 2016
Invited Interviews – 8:30-4:00 Thursday, February 18, 2016
Minneapolis Convention Center
What to expect at the fair:
Pre-Registration required through the Piper Center
Minnesota’s Private Colleges Job & Internship Fair is designed to bring employers and students together in a way that allows students the opportunity to explore many different work & internship opportunities, and employers a cost-effective means of meeting highly talented students from Minnesota’s private colleges. The fair is sponsored by 17 private colleges in the state. The fair is open ONLY to current sophomores, juniors and seniors. Limited exceptions may be available, please contact the Piper Center.
The fair includes recruiter representatives from over 200 organizations from business/industry and from the non-profit sector. (Certified teachers have their own fair mid Spring Semester.) The individual organizations each have a booth in the Convention Center on day one of the fair, and students can choose with whom they’d like to make contact.
Registration for this fair will begin in December at the Piper Center!
- Sign up Monday-Friday between 8-5 – Tomson Hall 270.
- Registration Deadline is: Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2016 @ 4pm
- The $15 cost of the fair (Ole Card, cash or check) must be paid at the time you register. Bus transportation is provided at no additional charge.
Bus transportation for day one only is provided at no additional charge and must be requested in advance at the time of registration or by the deadline of Feb. 9. Buses will depart promptly at 7:30am on Feb. 17 from Buntrock Commons turnaround and drop off at the Minneapolis Convention Center. A return bus to campus will depart the convention center at 1:00pm and at 2:30pm. A roster will not be kept so if you miss the bus you will need to find alternative transportation back to campus on your own. If you are planning to return for day two, you are responsible for your own transportation.
If you are seeking transportation on your own for either day, carpooling is a good option as many students will be travelling to the fair. You can message St. Olaf Extra, utilize the ride board, or explore other options. Any student utilizing their own transportation arrangement are responsible for any parking fees.
Mandatory Preparation Session
Attend ONE of the following:
- Wednesday, February 10, 2016 | 4:00pm – 5:00 pm | Tomson Hall 280 |
Co-facilitated by Ole Alum**
- Thursday, February 11, 2016 | 11:30am – 12:30 pm | Tomson Hall 280) |
Co-facilitated by Ole Alum**
**Immediately following each of the mandatory preparation sessions, the alumni co-facilitators will be hosting 30 minute open Q & A sessions. Students are invited to stick around to get deeper insight into the fair from an employer perspective, learn more about how these organizations utilize the fair for recruiting, and to get answers to any burning job fair questions you may have.
Once registered, all communication with you about the fair will be through e-mail. Check your messages regularly, and watch for important information.
If you have questions about whether the fair will benefit you, see one of the Piper Center staff members to discuss your specific goals and career direction. A list of companies and organizations registered for the fair and the specific positions they are recruiting for is available on-line. Companies continue to register up to the date of the fair, so plan to check the site regularly!
Additional Job and Internship Fair Help Sessions
Job Fair Information Session
- December 10, 2015 | 11:30am – 12:30pm | Buntrock 143
- Januarty 14, 2016 | 4:00pm – 5:00pm | Location TBD
Resume Basics Workshop
- Wednesday, January 18, 2016 | 5:00pm – 6:00pm | Location TBD
Job Fair Help Session for International Students
- Thursday, February 11, 2016 | 4:00pm – 5:00pm | Location TBD
Job Fair Help Session for Sophomores
- Friday, February 12, 2016 | 3:00pm – 4:00pm | Location TBD
Interviewing at the Job Fair Workshop
- Monday, February 15, 2016 | 5:00pm – 6:00pm | Location TBD
Piper Center Walk-in Hours for Job and Internship Fair Questions (Tomson 270)
Wednesday, February 11 – 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Thursday, February 12 – 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm and 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Friday , February 13 – 12:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Monday, February 16 – 12:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Tuesday, February 17 – 11:00 am – 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Transportation will be provided for Day 1 of the fair ONLY. Any student invited to interview on Day 2 is responsible for their own transportation. Transportation for Day 1 is open for all St. Olaf students who request it and there is no additional feed to reserve a space. ALL buses will depart Buntrock Commons at 7:30am and depart the Convention Center back to campus at 1:00pm and 2:30pm. If you take the bus to the convention center but decided not to take the bus back to campus, please notify a staff member at the St. Olaf table. Day 2 transportation options include: carpooling or messaging St. Olaf Extra, the job fair alias, or utilize the ride board – other options are also available. Parking fees are the responsibility of each student.
We urge you to start preparing for the fair early. The Piper Center staff are eager to help you have a good experience; ask us your questions, have us critique your resume, and get our feedback on your benefit statement and answers to interview questions. We will be very busy in January and February, so call early to schedule an appointment.
To download the mobile app, please click HERE. The mobile app is a great way to prepare, organize, and navigate at the fair. The app is available for iPhone and Android platforms.
What employers will expect from students:
There are three separate ways for you to set up individual interviews at the fair. You will want to utilize all three means of connecting with employers.
- Upload a copy of your resume to the mnpcfair.org site. Beginning in January, employers will have access to the resume database so that they can begin reviewing the qualifications of students attending the fair. From January until the fair, employers will be scheduling pre-arranged interviews by contacting you directly.
- E-mail/mail a resume and cover letter using the contact information on the employer list to request a pre-arranged interview (watch the video above for more information). Beginning in January, employers are giving early consideration to those students requesting pre-arranged interviews. This is your chance to target employers of most interest to you and call attention to yourself as the perfect hire for a particular position or internship.
- Market yourself effectively to employers at their exhibit booths on the day of the fair. You will have a very short time – one to three minutes – to make an impression on each recruiter you approach. Employers will meet all interested candidates during the open booth hours and schedule remaining individual interview appointments with selected candidates.