Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate/Cambridge A Level Exams/PSEO/CIS

If you completed Advanced Placement (AP) examinations, International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations, Cambridge level (CAL) examinations and will be entering St. Olaf during the 2016-17 academic year, credit will be assigned to your record as indicated below:

2016 AP St. Olaf policy
2016 IB St. Olaf policy
2016 Cambridge A Level Exams
2015 PSEO (Postsecondary education option) and CIS (College in the schools)  The 2016-17 catalog is not available until August, 2016.  See 2015 information within the link.
FAQ’s

If you entered St. Olaf during an academic year other than 2016-17, please see the AP/IB lists for previous terms.

Receiving Advanced Placement scores/International Baccalaureate scores/Cambridge A level exams

St. Olaf College receives transmissions from the College Board for AP scores year round.  The main transmission for incoming students is sent around the first week of July each year and if a student requests that their scores be sent to St. Olaf, their scores should be included in this transmission.  IB transmissions are received in July and January if the student requested scores be sent to St. Olaf.

If scores were not sent to St. Olaf, you will need to request an official grade report be sent directly to the St. Olaf College Registrar’s Office.  Official Cambridge A level exams should be sent to the Registrar’s Office at St. Olaf or dropped off at the Registrar’s Office for review.  Please email registrar if you are not sure if we received your exam information.

College Board site for requesting score information:
https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apscores?affiliateld=stdlp&bannerld=apstd8t
The College Board code for St. Olaf is 6638.

International Baccalaureate site for score information:
https://candidates.ibo.org/index.cfm?event=authnHandler.showLoginForm

Top of Page

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How can I determine if St. Olaf credit will be awarded for any AP/IB exams completed?
  2. How long should I expect to wait for AP/IB credit to show up on my academic record?
  3. What if my AP/IB credit does not show up when I log into S.I.S. and view my St. Olaf unofficial transcript or degree audit?
  4. I’m not sure I will need my AP/IB credit. Could I have the scores sent to St. Olaf later.
  5. Will I be able to register for classes even if my AP/IB credit has not yet been posted.
  6. What is the maximum amount of AP/IB credit that can be awarded?
  7. Does AP/IB credit for English satisfy the First Year Writing requirement?
  8. Does St. Olaf accept CLEP credit?

1. How can I determine if St. Olaf credit will be awarded for any Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or Cambridge A level exams completed?

If you are entering St. Olaf this coming fall, see the St. Olaf College policies listed above for Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate/Cambridge A level  Please note that this list is updated each academic year. If you will be attending St. Olaf in the future, be sure to check the list for the academic year of your matriculation. Typically, the new list will be posted during the summer prior to the applicable year.

1.  How long should I expect to wait for pre-college credit to show up on my academic record?

Generally, once we receive scores from the College Board for Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate, you should allow 4 – 6 weeks. You can begin checking the S.I.S. toward the end of July.  College in the schools and Post Secondary course work is entered after Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate scores have been entered.

1. What if my pre-college credit does not show up when I log into S.I.S. and view my St. Olaf unofficial transcript or degree audit?

If by mid to late July your AP/IB information has not be posted, contact registrar@stolaf.edu to ask if we received your scores. We would be happy to check.

1. I’m not sure I will need pre-college credit. Could I have the scores sent to St. Olaf later?

Yes, you may always send pre-college AP/IB/CIS or PSEO scores or transcripts later.  Even if you don’t “need” them, it doesn’t hurt to have them sent.

1. Will I be able to register for classes even if my pre-college credit has not yet been posted?

Yes. We post scores to student records as soon as possible. If a score is in process, you will want to inform your academic advisor and placement coordinators.

1. What is the maximum amount of pre-college credit that can be awarded?

St. Olaf College awards a maximum of 6.00 (six) St. Olaf-equivalent credits from among all pre-college (PSEO/CIS/AP/IB/CAL) credits presented by matriculating first-year students. The registrar first awards credits for the AP/IB/CAL exams that qualify. If the six pre-college credits allowed are not fulfilled by AP/IB/CAL alone, then the registrar can award up to a maximum of four of the six allowable pre-college credits through approved PSEO/CIS courses.

1. Does AP/IB credit for English satisfy the First Year Writing requirement?

Yes, an AP score of ‘5’ on either the English Language or English Literature exam counts for one elective credit and the FYW (first year writing) general education requirement. For IB exams a score of “5”, “6” or “7” on the higher level (HL) Language A1 – English exam also counts for one elective credit and the FYW (first year writing) general education requirement. If a student is registered for the Great Conversation or American Conversation the FYW will be exchanged for WRI (writing) since the conversation programs include FYW as part of the program.

1. Does St. Olaf accept CLEP credit?

No. St. Olaf does not accept College Level Examination Program (CLEP) credit.