The Registrar’s Office allows departments and programs to pre-register a limited number of students in certain courses before the regular registration period, according to pre-established procedures and deadlines. Department chairs and program directors have already notified me of the courses into which they will allow pre-registration of students, the criteria to be used in determining who will be allowed to pre-register, and the procedures to be followed. Students will only be allowed to pre-register in courses that have been identified by the chairs/program directors. The goal of this procedure is to balance legitimate needs of majors or concentrators with the equally legitimate need of students to gain access to courses that interest them and that, perhaps, carry GE credit.
PRE-REGISTRATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINES as well as a table containing all the courses for which pre-registration is possible, under certain conditions, for fall semester semester, 2015-2016, are posted on the registration instruction web page. Please note that there is a period of time for personal reflection and consultation with advisors before students can pre-register in courses.
- The pre-registration period runs from Wednesday, October 28 – Friday, October 30, and Monday, November 2, at 5:00 p.m. only (some departments may have a more specific schedule—please consult the procedures).
- Once departments have submitted their lists of students to be pre-registered, no additional pre-registrations will be accepted. We cannot add new pre-registrations into the SIS after the course choice submission period has opened.
The list of courses explains which courses are available for pre-registration, which students are eligible to pre-register for each course, the department’s / program’s procedure for doing so, and specific pre-registration deadlines for each department, when applicable. The courses are listed alphabetically by the name of the department offering the courses. Note that only courses on this list, and no others, are available for pre-registration. Students, to determine if you are eligible to pre-register for any courses, skim the “Criteria” column.
The document does not apply to the following:
- Students taking Performance Studies courses (music lessons). Please consult with the Music Department.
- Students who will participate in an off-campus program during 2015-2016. Please visit the Office of International and Off-Campus Studies.
Thank you for your cooperation in this process, and many thanks to all the chairs, program directors, and AAAs who helped out.
Please do not hesitate to ask me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
CALENDAR AT A GLANCE: Fall Semester, 2015-2016 Registration
- MONDAY, OCTOBER 5 – TUESDAY, OCTOBER 27: No pre-registrations accepted before Tuesday, October 27 as this is time for students to work on their schedules and meet with advisors.
- WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 28 – FRIDAY, OCTOBER 30, and MONDAY, NOVEMBER 2, at 5:00 p.m. : Pre-registration period within departments / programs.
- WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 4: Department and Program pre-registration Google docs due by 10:00 a.m. to Registrar’s Office.
- THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 5 at NOON: Students must have ALL holds removed from their SIS to be included in registration pool for fall registration course choice submission process. Individual student registrations will not run if holds are active on SIS record.
- FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 6: Interim and Spring Semester course choice submission period OPENS at 8:30 a.m.
- MONDAY, NOVEMBER 9: Interim course choice submission CLOSE at NOON. Student registrations are run and posted in SIS by end of the day. Spring semester course submission remains open.
- TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 10: Drop/add period for INTERIM begins.
- WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 11: Spring semester course submission close at 10:00 a.m. Student registrations are run and posted in SIS by end of the day.
- MONDAY, NOVEMBER 16 – THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 19: Drop/Add by class year.
- FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 20: Drop/add for all students.
Full listing of registration dates will be available on the Registrar’s Office web site.