The Office of the Registrar and Academic Advising allows departments and programs to preregister a limited number of students in certain courses before the regular registration period, according to pre-established procedures and deadlines. Department chairs and program directors have already notified me of the courses into which they will allow pre-registration of students, the criteria to be used in determining who will be allowed to preregister, and the procedures to be followed. Students will only be allowed to preregister in courses that have been identified by the chairs/program directors. The goal of this procedure is to balance legitimate needs of majors or concentrators with the equally legitimate need of students to gain access to courses that interest them and that, perhaps, carry GE credit.
PREREGISTRATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINES as well as a table containing all the courses for which pre-registration is possible, under certain conditions, for Interim and spring semester, 2013-2014, are posted on the Office of the Registrar and Academic Advising web page. Please note that there is a period of time for personal reflection and consultation with advisors before students can preregister in courses.
- The preregistration period runs from Wednesday, October 30 – Monday, November 4 at 5:00 p.m. only (some departments may have a more specific schedule—please consult the procedures).
- Once departments have submitted their lists of students to be preregistered, no additional preregistrations will be accepted. We cannot add new preregistrations into the SIS after the course choice submission period has opened.
The list of courses explains which courses are available for pre-registration, which students are eligible to preregister for each course, the department’s / program’s procedure for doing so, and specific preregistration deadlines for each department, when applicable. The courses are listed alphabetically by the name of the department offering the courses. Note that only courses on this list, and no others, are available for preregistration. Students, to determine if you are eligible to preregister for any courses, skim the “Criteria” column.
The document does not apply to the following:
- Students taking Performance Studies courses (music lessons). Please consult with the Music Department.
- Students who will participate in an off-campus program during 2013-2014. Please visit the Office of International and Off-Campus Studies.
Thank you for your cooperation in this process, and many thanks to all the chairs, program directors, and AAAs who helped out.
Please do not hesitate to ask me (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
CALENDAR AT A GLANCE: Interim and Spring Semester, 2013-2014 Registration
- MONDAY, OCTOBER 7– TUESDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2013 Advising period with academic advisors. No preregistrations accepted before October 30 as this is time for students to work on their schedules and meet with advisors.
- WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 30 – MONDAY, NOVEMBER 4, 2013 Preregistration period within departments / programs.
- FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2013 Interim and Spring semester course choice submission period OPENS at 8:30 a.m.
- MONDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 2013 Interim course submission period CLOSES at noon. Registration results are posted at the end of the day.
- TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2013 Drop/add for Interim begins.
- WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2013 Spring semester course submission period CLOSES at 10:00 a.m. Registration results are posted at the end of the day.
- MONDAY, NOVEMBER 18-21, 2013 Drop/Add period for spring semester begins by class year.
- FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 22, 2013 Drop/add for all students.
Full listing of registration dates will be available on the Office of the Registrar and Academic Advising web site.