The Office of the Registrar and Academic Advising allows departments and programs to pre-register a limited number of students in certain courses before the regular registration period, according to pre-established procedures and deadlines. Department chairs and program directors have already notified me of the courses into which they will allow pre-registration of students, the criteria to be used in determining who will be allowed to pre-register, and the procedures to be followed. Students will only be allowed to pre-register in courses that have been identified by the chairs/program directors. The goal of this procedure is to balance legitimate needs of majors or concentrators with the equally legitimate need of students to gain access to courses that interest them and that, perhaps, carry GE credit.
PRE-REGISTRATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINES as well as a table containing all the courses for which pre-registration is possible, under certain conditions, for fall semester semester, 2015-2016, are posted on the Office of the Registrar and Academic Advising web page. Please note that there is a period of time for personal reflection and consultation with advisors before students can pre-register in courses.
- The pre-registration period runs from Friday, April 17 and Monday, April 20 – Tuesday April 21, at 5:00 p.m. only (some departments may have a more specific schedule—please consult the procedures).
- Once departments have submitted their lists of students to be pre-registered, no additional pre-registrations will be accepted. We cannot add new pre-registrations into the SIS after the course choice submission period has opened.
The list of courses explains which courses are available for pre-registration, which students are eligible to pre-register for each course, the department’s / program’s procedure for doing so, and specific pre-registration deadlines for each department, when applicable. The courses are listed alphabetically by the name of the department offering the courses. Note that only courses on this list, and no others, are available for pre-registration. Students, to determine if you are eligible to pre-register for any courses, skim the “Criteria” column.
The document does not apply to the following:
- Students taking Performance Studies courses (music lessons). Please consult with the Music Department.
- Students who will participate in an off-campus program during 2015-2016. Please visit the Office of International and Off-Campus Studies.
Thank you for your cooperation in this process, and many thanks to all the chairs, program directors, and AAAs who helped out.
Please do not hesitate to ask me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
CALENDAR AT A GLANCE: Fall Semester, 2015-2016 Registration
- MONDAY, MARCH 9 – THURSDAY, APRIL 16: No pre-registrations accepted before April 17 as this is time for students to work on their schedules and meet with advisors.
- FRIDAY, APRIL 17 and MONDAY – TUESDAY, APRIL 20-21: Pre-registration period within departments / programs.
- THURSDAY, APRIL 23 at NOON: Students must have ALL holds removed from their SIS to be included in registration pool for fall registration course choice submission process. Individual student registrations will not run if holds are active on SIS record.
- FRIDAY, APRIL 24: Fall semester course choice submission period OPENS at 8:30 a.m.
- TUESDAY, APRIL 28: Fall semester course choice submission CLOSE at 10:00 a.m. Student registrations are run and posted in SIS by end of the day..
- MONDAY – WEDNESDAY, MAY 4-6: Drop/add period for fall semester begins by class year.
- THURSDAY, MAY 7: Drop/add for all students.
Full listing of registration dates will be available on the Office of the Registrar and Academic Advising web site.