On the First Floor of Tomson Hall
Supporting St. Olaf College’s mission to stimulate students’ critical thinking and encourage them to be seekers of truth, the Speaking Center consultants help students to argue clearly and coherently in speech, to organize and develop thoughtful presentations of their work, to listen and respond to each other in discussion, and, in general, to develop the speaking skills that enable them to be responsible and knowledgeable citizens of the world.
- Discuss ways to make presentations more effective (both in content and performance)
- Help students to apply critical thinking skills to oral presentations and discussions.
- Provide a venue for speech rehearsals with constructive feedback given from consultants.
- Help students manage speaking anxiety.
- Give students tools to work on their own to develop effective presentations and discussions.
- Provide students with podcasts of their oral communication work with consultant comments attached.
- Offer discussion help for ELL students.
- Write or organize an oral presentation (group or individual)
- Proofread or correct student work.
- Provide grades or discuss potential grades.
- Take responsibility for students’ oral communication work.
Fall, J-term and Spring Semesters (2014-2015)
Mondays to Thursdays: 4-6pm.
Appointments – HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Available by calling the Academic Support Center at 507-786-3288 (x3288)
Or drop by! Walk-in appointments may be possible if a consultant is available.