Supporting St. Olaf College’s mission to stimulate students’ critical thinking and encourage them to be seekers of truth, the Speaking Center tutors help students to argue clearly and coherently in speech, to organize and develop thoughtful presentations of their work, to listen and respond to each other in discussion, and, in general, to develop the speaking skills that enable them to be responsible and knowledgeable citizens of the world.
- Discuss ways to make presentations more effective (both in content and performance)
- Help students to apply critical thinking skills to oral presentations and discussions.
- Provide a venue for speech rehearsals with constructive feedback given from consultants.
- Help students manage speaking anxiety.
- Give students tools to work on their own to develop effective presentations and discussions.
- Provide students with podcasts of their oral communication work with consultant comments attached.
- Offer discussion help for multilingual students.
- Write or organize an oral presentation (group or individual)
- Proofread or correct student work.
- Provide grades or discuss potential grades.
- Take responsibility for students’ oral communication work.
Location:Mondays to Thursdays: 7-9pm .
Tomson Hall 110 (First Floor)
|Call the Academic Support Center at 507-786-3288 (x3288)
Appointments – HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Or drop by – Walk-in appointments may be possible if a tutor is available.
We also have a great student organization for public speaking on campus! St. Olaf Public Speakers meets every Saturday from 12:00-1:00pm in Buntrock 221 to provide stable guidance, continual practice, and targeted feedback for students interested in developing their personal speaking skills. Bring your cafe trays and join this welcoming community as we practice together! For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org