Led by Ted and Michelle Johnson
February 20–March 1, 2016
We have a unique opportunity to charter an entire ship in the Upper Amazon with Lindblad Expeditions and National Geographic! The Delfin II holds only 26 participants, and only 11 spaces remain (down from 16 available in early August). We are working to fill this charter by December 1, 2014, so spaces will go early!
For 10 days in late February 2016, with Ted and Michelle Johnson, you can meander through one of the most diverse environments on the planet. There’s a pulse to the Amazon, a kind of undercurrent. Inky waters backed by layers of green forest at once relax and invigorate. Wild birdcalls fill the air. A leafy branch shakes to reveal a troop of clamoring monkeys. Travel aboard the exquisite Delfin II and discover the pristine upper reaches of the legendary Amazon.
Every day we’ll have the chance to walk, kayak, and swim. We’ll board 10-person, naturalist-guided skiffs for a variety of outings. On days with low water levels, we’ll hike on terra firma to learn about the lavish vegetation of the rain forest. When water levels are too high for walking, the skiffs provide nimble access, allowing us to thread through narrow, inviting tributaries.
Our route focuses on the remarkable Pacaya-Samiria Reserve, backed by two fierce rivers―the Marañón and Ucayali. This is a less-traveled, wilder part of the Amazon, with the highest concentration of bird species on the planet—and you’ll see many fascinating examples. Perhaps we’ll also see the Amazon’s famous pink river dolphins tranquilly swimming nearby. And we’ll learn fascinating things about the rain forest, including how tannins are washed out by the steady tropical rain, giving the water its mysterious “black” appearance and its romantic nickname: the river of mirrors.
One of the most rewarding and memorable aspects of this Amazon adventure travel is meeting the people who live along the riverbanks, known as ribereños. They seldom have outsiders visiting their village, and are always welcoming, showing us a heartwarming and genuine friendliness. If we can fill this charter, we also have the opportunity to custom-design some visits pertaining to Ted’s passion of delivering quality healthcare to this area of the world.
Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to have an entire expedition to ourselves. Again, the Delfin II holds only 26 participants, and only 13 spaces remain, so register online now. A $500 per-person deposit holds your space.
The details for our 2016 expedition are not yet available, but you can see an example of itineraries, the ship, and more at http://www.expeditions.com/destinations/amazon/.
$7,493 per person in a double suite
$8,493 per person in a double master suite
The single occupancy price is $10,549 in a regular suite
Included in the Program Fee
– One hotel night in Lima pre-voyage (with breakfast) and one hotel night in Lima post-voyage (with breakfast)
– Seven nights’ accommodations on board the Delfin II
– Roundtrip transfers from the airport/ship for guests booked on the recommended flight
– All meals and non-alcoholic beverages aboard the ship (a cash bar will be run on certain hours on the ship)
– Use of skiffs and kayaks
– All shore excursions, sightseeing and entrance fees while on board the vessel
– Services of Lindblad’s Expedition Leader, Lindblad National Geographic certified Photo Instructor, expert guides, mini lectures offered by Ted Johnson, and assistance by Michelle Johnson
– All port charges, special access permits, service fees and taxes during the voyage
– All gratuities to local guides
– Insurance for travel accident and sickness, emergency medical evacuation, emergency family travel, and medical repatriation
NOT Included in the Program Fee
– All airfare
– Passport and visa expenses (if necessary)
– Any airport departure taxes
– Insurance for trip cancellation, baggage loss, and repatriation of remains
– Items of a personal nature (telephone, alcoholic beverages, laundry, etc.)
– Gratuities to ship’s staff and crew, at your discretion (recommendation of $180 per traveler)
$500 per person upon registration
$1,000 per person by Dec 15, 2014
$1,800 per person by April 15, 2015
$1,800 per person by June 15, 2015
$2,393 per person by Oct 15, 2015