Allison Jones

AllisonThis month’s mentor spotlight is Allison Jones! Her mentee is Deanna Holmes, a sophomore at Humboldt High School. Read below to learn more about Allison!!

Hi, I’m Allison and I am so excited to be a UB mentor!

I am from Chanhassen, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis, and attended St. Olaf College in Northfield. I graduate in 2008 and majored in political science and German. After working at the Minnesota Legislature for two years, I went on to get a master’s degree in public policy at the University of Minnesota and now work for Governor Mark Dayton.

Besides following politics and current events, I like to spend my time being active outside and with my family and friends. I enjoy yoga, walking around the Minneapolis lakes, downhill and cross country skiing, and reality TV. I am currently watching NBC’s The Voice and rooting for Nicholas David from Minnesota.

My advice to UB students is to diversify your résumé for college. I think colleges appreciate students with a variety of interests and activities inside and outside of school. Being an active student shows perspective colleges that you are well-rounded, enthusiastic about learning, and good at time management. Also, while I think you need to work very hard to prepare for college, remember to have fun!

One interesting fact about me is that I was a national delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 2008 and have shaken President Obama’s hand three times. I’m a big fan!