Mai’Nesha Cyrus

IMG_0935This Upward Bound graduate update comes from Mai’Nesha Cyrus who graduated from St. Paul Central in 2012. After graduating from Central, Mai’Nesha decided to spend her next four years at St. Olaf College. Other than being an extremely busy college student, Mai’Nesha is focused on her academics and will graduate in 2016 with a BS degree in psychology. As always, it was great to catch up with one of UB’s graduated students and I hope you enjoy reading all about Mai’ Nesha’s life after UB.

When Mai’Nesha first arrived at college, she said it was a big adjustment. Although she enjoyed college, it took her awhile to get accustomed to how things worked. “It’s a lot harder than I thought it would be and there’s a lot of decisions that you have to make on your own. I’m enjoying it though. I’ve met a lot of different people.”

This semester, Mai’Nesha is taking a full-load that includes organic chemistry, psychology, feminine theology and biology.  During interim, Mai’Nesha will be traveling to Costa Rica to finish off her Spanish requirements. When I asked Mai’Nesha to tell me about her extra-curricular activities she let me know that she’s involved in the Talking Circle, a Native American group on campus, the Pre-Dental organization and Habitat for Humanity.  Her typical day includes class from 9:05 – 3pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. She then works for a couple of hours. After work, she does her homework, eats, and goes to bed. Her Tuesday and Thursday schedule includes work, eating lunch and a three hour lab for biology. After her lab, Mai’Nesha does more homework and goes to sleep. She said it can get pretty busy, but for those of us that see Mai’Nesha on campus, she does it all with a smile.

When asked to recall a favorite UB memory and college memory, thus far, Mai’Nesha said, “My favorite UB memory was being able to write to my mentor and seeing her at all events because I really feel like she wanted me to succeed and we always had good talks! Hey Emily B. ! lol. My favorite college memory has been my whole experience here, meeting new people, learning new things, getting accustomed to a new environment.”

Last but certainly not least, I asked Mai’Nesha to let us know how she feels UB helped prepare her for college and to share some words of advice with our current UB participants. She explained that UB always pushed her to take challenging classes. Mai’Nesha felt UB helped her believe she could do better and helped her realize that she was capable of being successful in college. “My advice to you wonderful UB students is to enjoy your time in high school. Once you get to college, everything changes and you will wish that you were still in high school. Also, make sure you take challenging classes because they will help prepare you for what college has to offer J”

UB would like to thank Mai’Nesha for allowing us to hear about her college life and we can’t wait to see her graduate!