Mary Earm

Mary Mary’s mentee wass Pang Xiong. Pang graduated from Humboldt High School in 2014. She will be attending Augsburg College this fall.

Mary majored in Biology and graduated from St. Olaf College in 2006. After working part-time as a certified nursing assistant and volunteering in hospitals, she realized that she really enjoyed working with patients and helping people. This motivated her to go back to school for nursing. She went back in 2010 for her Bachelors of Science in Nursing from Marymount University in Virginia. After receiving her nursing degree, she got a job at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. She is currently a registered nurse at the Mayo Clinic on a surgical unit and works with patients who are recovering from complex surgeries.

When Mary is not working and commuting to Rochester for her job, she enjoys gardening, running, and reading biographies.  I asked her why she decided to mentor for UB a second time and this is what she said, “I’ve been mentoring for UB for about 3 years now (including a one year hiatus when I was in nursing school). I think mentoring is a lot of fun. I get to hang out with smart, creative, and funny young people.” Mary had some advices for mentees as they are prepare for college and the real world. Her advice for UB mentees is to be active in your community, school, and Upward Bound. When you participate in these different programs you will gain insight on the kind of college and career that best fit your needs and interests. She discovered that she wanted to be a nurse after she volunteered for the Red Cross and in the emergency department of a Twin Cities hospital. She said, “Choosing a nursing career was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life!”

An interesting fact about Mary is that she lived in the Washington D.C. metro area for about 15 months when she was in nursing school. On March 12th, she went back to Washington D.C. to visit her newborn niece, Savannah. She said, “We had some nice Auntie and niece time near the Jefferson Memorial in D.C.”