You will receive a more detailed outline of your schedule when you meet your transfer counselors at the transfer welcome on Saturday, August 30 at 11:30 a.m. in Viking Theater, Buntrock Commons.
Placement Exams, Auditions
Placement exams — which suggest course placement for students but do not to fulfill credit requirements — must be taken online before 8 a.m. Monday, September 1 for chemistry, computer science, French, German, mathematics, and Spanish. Public computers are available in the residence halls, Tomson Hall atrium, Buntrock Commons Fireside Lounge, Rolvaag Library, and the Lions’ Pause Den. For additional information on placement tests contact Cheryl LaCroix (507-786-6797) in the Academic Advising Center.
Auditions for choral and instrumental music organizations will begin Saturday, August 30, at 8 a.m. Auditioning students should have received notification of the time and place of their audition in a letter from the Department of Music.
Language Proficiency Tests
Students who have completed work in German, French or Spanish and who place above German/French/Spanish 232 through the placement exam may take the proficiency exam on Saturday, Sept. 6, 10 a.m.–noon to determine if they have achieved a level of proficiency to allow them to “test out” of the foreign language graduation requirement.
Those wishing to take the test in one of these three languages must register in the Foreign Language Offices in Tomson Hall on or before Wednesday, Sept. 3. You will find out the location for the tests at this time. Proficiency tests in other foreign languages are administered only by special arrangement with the chair of the department concerned.
Name Tags and Student ID Cards
You will receive your nametag when you check in at your residence hall. Please wear your nametag at all times. It is your meal ID card until your permanent ID card is issued. It also provides a good way of getting to know your classmates, and it will admit you to many campus functions during your first week at St. Olaf.
Student ID pictures will be taken in Buntrock Commons Room 143 during Week One on Friday evening, August 29, and on opening day, Saturday, August 30. Please have this done at your earliest convenience according to your schedule.
Saturday, August 30
The Cage (a cafe/grill in Buntrock Commons, main level)
9 a.m.–8 p.m.
Stav Hall Cafeteria (Buntrock Commons, top floor)
11 a.m.–2 p.m. (BBQ on Buntrock Plaza)
9 a.m.–11 p.m.
11 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
The Cage 7:30 a.m.–11 p.m.
10:30 a.m.–2 p.m.
Buntrock Commons (just inside parking lot entrance)
Saturday, August 30: 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
Sunday: Noon–4 p.m.
Monday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Tuesday: 8 a.m.–8 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
And you can always visit the Bookstore online.
Information Technologies (IT)
Rolvaag Library 251 (right below main library entrance), 507-786-3830
The Information Technologies Help Desk provides technology support for faculty, staff, and students. At the start of the year the Help Desk’s primary role is assisting students connecting their personal devices to the St. Olaf network. If you have issues getting connected visit us during the Week One hours noted below, call, or use a campus computer to email email@example.com.
- Saturday, August 30: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Sunday: 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Monday–Wednesday: 8 a.m.–5: p.m.
You can also submit your request via our new Web Help Desk system.
Telephone/Voice Mail Services
Buntrock Commons 52 (lower level hallway between Buntrock and Library)
If you wish to have a phone in your dorm room they are available and free of charge. Simply contact the telephone office to request a phone. Phones come with voicemail and are an alternative to cell phones since cell signals can be sporadic in the dorms.
Saturday, August 30
- Buntrock Commons Crossroads 9 a.m.–3 p.m.
- Telephone Office, Buntrock Commons 52 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
In the event of an emergency: Do you know where your call goes when you call 911 on your cell? Test it and find out. You can program the local emergency number in your phone, if necessary.
- Fax: The Telephone Office has a public fax machine. Outgoing faxes are $1.25 for the first page and 50 cents for every additional page. Incoming faxes are $1 for the first page and 25 cents for each additional page. International faxes are $2.75 for the first page and $1 for every additional page.
- Telephone and Cable TV Trouble: If you experience telephone or cable problems, you can reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at x3041. We are located in the Buntrock Commons Room 52. To get there, walk through the main Buntrock entrance, past the cash machines, through the double doors and down the long hallway. We are the first office on the right.
- Switchboard/Main line: Our office is home to the St. Olaf College Switchboard, the main information line at the college (x2222 or 0). Switchboard operators play a crucial role in answering all calls entering the main college switchboard. They also answer the public safety phone (x3666) and dispatch public safety officers to routine calls and handle emergency situations. The switchboard is open 24 hours a day during regular school hours and is staffed by St. Olaf College students. If you are interested in working at the switchboard, please call or visit our office.