Starting a concentration/teaching license:
- Meet with an Education faculty member as soon as possible to develop a course plan – this can be done in the first year
- Focus on general education requirements (and a prospective teaching major, if pursuing teaching licensure) during the first year
- Take EDUC 290 during sophomore year if planning to pursue Licensure or Non-Licensure tracks
- Take EDUC 250 or EDUC 260 during sophomore year if pursuing the TEFL Certificate (both are only offered in the FALL)
- Have a minimum overall and content area GPA of 2.7 to apply to the Teacher Education Program
- Consider taking ED 170 during interim, which is designed for first-year students to work in Minneapolis classrooms
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD/CAN take their First Year?
- Must: There are no courses that must be taken during the first year.
- Should:There are no courses that should be taken during the first year.
- Can: EDUC 170 (Interim) can be taken.
- Week One Information Session (Robert McClure leads)
- April Information Session (Robert McClure leads)
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/education/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/education/
Contacts & Department Location
The Education Department Office is located in Tomson Hall 290
- Education Department Chair– Elizabeth Leer (507) 786-3245
- Education Department AAA– Kim Foss (507) 786-3245
To download and print, click on this link: Education Information Sheet