Starting a concentration:
- Most students begin with Stat 212, although AP Statistics (4 or 5) may be sufficient for beginning in Stat 272 or CS 125.
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD/CAN take their First Year?
- Must: No. Many first year students do not take any statistics courses in their first year. Beginning with statistics in the sophomore year fits well with many schedules.
- Can: Some students can take Stat 212 or Stat 272 in their first year. Often there is not space in courses to meet first year student demand. Taking your first Stats course your sophomore year allows plenty of time to complete the statistics concentration.
Credit for previous coursework
- AP scores of 4 or 5 may be sufficient preparation for Stat 272. Students who have not had exposure to statistical software (R) benefit from taking Stat 212, CS 125, or Intro to Data Science (new course offered Spring 2017)
- Credit for transfer courses or other programs are done in consultation with the Registrar, the Statistics Program Director and MSCS Chair.
- MSCS Dept. has informational “To Be or Not to Be” event in mid-October.
- Week One Information Sessions
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/statistics/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/statistics/which-statistics-course-should-i-take-first/
Contacts & Department Location
MSCS Department Office: Regents Hall of Mathematical Sciences (RMS) 307
- MSCS Department AAA: Ellen Haberoth (firstname.lastname@example.org), x3113
- Statistics Program Director: Katie Ziegler-Graham (email@example.com), x3415
- MSCS Department Chair: Steve McKelvey (firstname.lastname@example.org), x3421
To download or print this sheet, click on this link: Statistics Information Sheet