Starting a major
- Students can start taking pre-requisite courses in the first semester of their first year. Students take co-requisite courses in the spring semester of their sophomore year. Students must complete the CNA course before starting the sophomore semester. The nursing major courses begin during the fall semester of the junior year.
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD/CAN take their First Year?
- Must: Complete at least four pre-requisite courses before the end of the sophomore fall semester. See the planning sheet for details.
- Should: Sociology 121 or 128 as these two course can only be taken during the first year, however, students can also take Sociology 260, 264 or 278 at a later date. Psychology 125. Biology 143 and Biology 121. Nursing 110.
- Can: Take the Certified Nursing Assistant Course any time before the beginning of the sophomore spring.
Credit for previous coursework:
- Nursing courses from another academic institution will not be counted towards the St. Olaf Nursing major.
- Students may receive credit for General Education requirements from other institutions with prior approval from the Nursing Department Chair and the registrar.
- Credit for AP or IB does not count toward Nursing major requirements.
- N/A for nursing.
- Week One information sessions.
- Nurses week in May.
- Nursing major social events in fall and spring.
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/nursing/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/nursing/
- Planning Guide: Nursing Planning Guide
Contacts & Department Location
The Nursing Department Office is located in Ytterboe 046A.
- Tricia Kasa, Academic Administrative Assistant, email@example.com, x3265
- Mary Beth Kuehn, Nursing Department Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org, x3932
To download and print, click on this link: Nursing Information Sheet