Starting a major
- Because chemistry provides a foundation for biology, most students will begin with CHEM 121 or
CHEM 125 or CHBI 125 (students should consult their placement recommendation) in their first year.
- BIO 150 is the first biology course in the major, and can but does not have to be taken in the
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD take their First Year?
- Must: There are no courses that absolutely must be taken in the first year. However, we strongly
recommend that students start in a chemistry course unless there are unusual circumstances.
- Should: Students should take either chemistry (strongly preferred) and/or BIO 150 in the first
year. Many students take a calculus course in the first year (note that calculus is a prerequisite
for CHEM126 and CHBI 126).
Credit for previous coursework
- 100-level elective credit toward the major is given for: AP score of 4 or 5, IB HL score of
5-7, or Cambridge A-level score of A (unless other credit is arranged).
- Credit for transfer courses are done in consultation with the Registrar and the Biology
- The first biology course in the major is BIO 150 for all students. Rare exceptions include
certain transfer courses or a score of A on Cambridge A-level Biology.
- For chemistry, students should follow their placement recommendation found in the Student
Information System (SIS).
- Email Kathie Towler (contact info below) to sign up for the “biointerest” email alias to
receive occasional emails from the department about fun and interesting events!
- Week One Information Sessions
- College Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/biology/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/biology/
Contacts & Department Location
Biology Department Office: Regents Hall of Natural Science (RNS) 360
- Biology Department AAA: Kathie Towler (email@example.com), x3100
- Biology Department Chair: Kim Kandl (firstname.lastname@example.org), x3978
To print or download, click on this link: Biology Information Sheet