Starting a major
- Most students should begin with Economics 121, Principles of Economics.
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD take their First Year?
- Students need not begin the economics major in the first semester and can complete it without beginning in the first year.
- Potential majors are encouraged to take one course in the first year.
- Students who intend to major in economics do not need to take either Math 119 or Math 120 in their first year but should take one of these courses before taking Econ 261 and especially Econ 262.
Credit for previous coursework
- Credit for Economics 111 is given to students who (1) receive a score of 4 or above on EITHER the AP Macroeconomics or the AP Microeconomics Examination or (2) receive a score of 5 on the IB Higher Level (HL) Examination in Economics. https://wp.stolaf.edu/economics/ap-policy/ap-policy-2007/
- Credit for Economics 121 is given to students who (1) receive scores of 4 and above on BOTH the AP Macroeconomics and the AP Microeconomics Examinations or (2) earn a 6 or a 7 on the IB Higher Level (HL) Examination in Economics.
- Credit for transfer courses or other programs are done in consultation with the Registrar and the Economics Department Chair.
- The Department recommends that students who qualify for Econ 111 via AP credit be placed in Economics 121.
- The Department recommends that students who qualify for Econ 121 via AP credit be placed in a level 2 analysis course.
- Week One Information Sessions.
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/economics/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/economics/
Contacts & Department Location
Economics Department Office: Holland Hall (HH) 307
- Economics Department AAA: Savannah Taylor (email@example.com) x3149
- Economics Department Chair: Paul Wojick, HH 313, (firstname.lastname@example.org), x3639
To download and print, click on this link: Economics Information Sheet