Starting a major
- Most students do not begin the major until the first semester of sophomore year, though a few begin in interim or second semester of their first year.
Are there courses students MUST/CAN take their First Year?
- English FYW or its equivalent (AP or IB credit or one semester of Great Con or Amcon) is a prerequisite for nearly all English courses.
- Once a student completes FYW or its equivalent, he or she can take English 185 (the unofficial introduction to the major) or any Level II elective.
- Even without FYW or equivalent, interested first year students can take English 108, 123, or 124 (offered during interim).
Credit/placement for previous coursework
- Students are given credit for FYW if they get a score of 5 on the AP English Literature or English Language test or if they score 5-7 on the IB English Language test.
- Credit for AP or IB does not count toward the requirements of the English major.
- Completion of the Great Conversation (all five courses) counts as the equivalent to one English elective.
- Departmental Information Session (Week One)
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/english/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/english/
Contacts and Department Location
The English Department is located in Rolvaag 526 (take the stairwell to the right of the library entrance)
- English Chair: Colin Wells (email@example.com), x3436
- English AAA: Cleo Granneman (firstname.lastname@example.org), x3200
- Director of Writing (for questions related to FYW placement): Diane Leblanc (email@example.com), x3438
To download and print, click on this link: English Information Sheet