Starting your major:
- Typically the environmental studies major begins with ES 137: Introduction to Environmental Studies. Students earning a four or higher on the Environmental Science AP exam may elect to count it in lieu of ES 137.
- Should you be unable to enroll in ES 137 (due to class conflicts or closed courses), you may start the major in other ways. Several courses in natural science, social science, and arts and humanities contribute to the major, and do not have prerequisites.
- The following classes, open to first-year students, will contribute to your major. Please note the two BI/ES courses have a one course prerequisite.
ES 123 Geophysics
ES 202 Culture of Nature
ES 232 Environ Policy and Regulation
ID 235 Human Geography – Middle East
BI/ES 226 Conservation Biology
BI/ES 238 Environmental Health
- Other courses, such as ECON 121 and CHEM 125, will contribute as introductory courses to a particular area of emphasis. Please check with your advisor, or visit the links available at stolaf.edu/environmental-studies/environmental-studies-major/.
Courses students MUST/SHOULD/CAN take their First Year?
- There are no courses students MUST take during their first year.
- If you are considering the Natural Sciences area of environmental studies, we encourage you to begin in that study area with CHEM 125/126, 121/123/126, or CHBI 125/126 (note that calculus is a prerequisite for CHEM 126 and CHBI 126).
Placement and Credit for previous coursework
- Students wishing to transfer credit from other institutions must receive the permission of the department chair.
- A score of four or above on the Environmental Science AP exam will relieve students of the need to take ES 137 as a requirement for the major.
- TBA, check website (see below) for details
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/environmental-studies/
- Website: stolaf.edu/environmental-studies/
Contacts & Department Location
- ES Department Office: none
- ES Department Chair: Paul Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org, RNS 422, x3404
To download and print, click on this link: Environmental Studies Information Sheet