Starting a major
- The graduation major consists of a minimum of 8 courses in French above French 112, as follows: Two 250-level courses; two 270-level courses; two 300-level courses; two additional relevant courses of the student’s choosing. Courses from our study abroad programs in France, Morocco, and Senegal count toward the major.
- The French section offers courses at each level (250, 270, 300) both fall and spring semesters. During interim, we offer French 250 Speaking of French on campus and study abroad options in Morocco (French 235) and in Paris (French 275).
- If interested in majoring in French, students should take at least one course in the first year.
What French course(s) should you take in the First Year?
- First-year students with previous study of French language are required to take the online French placement test to determine which course (111-25X) best suits their abilities and experience with the language. Contact Professor Mary Cisar (email@example.com) for more information.
Credit for previous coursework in French
- Questions about transfer of credit for AP (advanced placement), IB (international baccalaureate), Cambridge A Levels, PSEO (postsecondary education option) and CIS (college in the schools) related to the completion of the Foreign Language requirement (FOL) in French should be directed to the St. Olaf College Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- AP score of 5 or IB score of HL-7 leads to placement in French 25X. AP score of 4 or IB score of HL-6 leads to placement in French 232.
- Questions about transfer credit for more advanced French courses should be directed to the French section head. For academic year 2017-18, contact Prof. Jolene Barjasteh (email@example.com)
Placement in French
- The on-line placement test in French can be found here: https://www.stolaf.edu/placement/french/
- For academic year 2017-18, contact Prof. Mary Cisar (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Week One Information Sessions in French are scheduled between 1:30 and 4:00 pm on Monday, September 4, 2017 in TOH 310.
College Catalog Link/Website Link for French
Contacts for the French Section, Romance Languages:
- Professor Maggie Broner, Chair of Romance Languages TOH 342 3469
- Professor Jolene Barjasteh, French Section Head TOH 330 3274
- Liza Davis, AAA Romance Languages, TOH 331 x. 3230
To download and print, click on this link: French information Sheet