Starting a major
- Most students begin with Math 119/120, 126/128, or 220. Students should consult their placement recommendation.
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD take their First Year?
- Must: Although most students begin the mathematics major in the first semester, potential majors do not need to start immediately.
- Should: Potential majors should take at least one mathematics course their first year. Waiting until sophomore year is feasible, particularly if placement is Math 220 or higher.
Credit for previous coursework
- Credit is given for a score of 4-5 on AP Calculus AB, BC, and/or AB sub-score (on the BC exam), a score of 5-7 on IB Math HL or SL, or an A on Cambridge A-Level Math.
- Credit for transfer courses or other programs is done in consultation with the Registrar, the Mathematics Placement Director, and/or MSCS Chair.
- Students should follow their placement survey results provided by the department and found on the Student Information System (SIS).
- Students who would like to take a mathematics course other than their recommended placement or who want placement assistance need to contact the Mathematics Placement Director, Adam Berliner (firstname.lastname@example.org), x3140.
- The MSCS Department has an informational/social event in early October.
- Week One Information Sessions
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/mathematics/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/math/
Contacts & Department Location
MSCS Department Office: Regents Hall of Mathematical Sciences (RMS) 307
- MSCS Department AAA: Ellen Haberoth (email@example.com), x3113
- Mathematics Placement Director: Adam Berliner (firstname.lastname@example.org), x3140
- MSCS Department Chair: Tina Garrett (email@example.com), x3419
To download and print, click on this link: Mathematics Information Sheet