Starting a major
- Almost all students begin the physics major with Physics 130. This course is only offered in the fall semester.
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD take their First Year?
- Students are strongly encouraged to begin the physics major during their first year by taking Physics 130 in the fall. However, it is possible to start as a sophomore and complete the major in three years.
- Students should complete mathematics courses through at least Calculus II during their first year.
Credit for previous coursework
- Receiving credit for previous coursework does not imply placement beyond Physics 130. Consult with the department chair to discuss placement.
- AP / IB: Course credit is given for a score of 5 on AP Physics 1, 2, B, C-Mech. or C-E&M, or a score of 5-7 on IB HL. Lab portfolio review is required to be considered for fulfillment of the ‘SED’ general education requirement.
- Cambridge A Levels: Course credit and fulfillment of the ‘SED’ requirement are given for a score of “A”.
- Credits for transfer courses or other programs are done in consultation with the Registrar and the Physics Chair.
- Consult with the department chair if you are interested in starting with Physics 131 or 232. Though rare, these placements are appropriate in some cases.
- Week One Departmental Information Sessions
- Visiting speakers, career panels, graduate school panels, picnics and more.
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/physics/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/physics/
Contacts & Department Location
Physics Department Office: Regents Hall of Natural Science (RNS) 260
- Physics Department AAA: Jill Fisher (email@example.com), x3120
- Physics Department Chair: Jason Engbrecht (firstname.lastname@example.org), x3849
To download and print, click on this link: Physics Information Sheet