Starting a major
- The first course in the Psychology major is Psych 125, Principles of Psychology, which examines the basic principles and methods of psychological science.
- A student does not need to take Psych 125 if he or she already:
- has a Psychology AP score of 4 or 5 OR
- has credit for Introductory Psychology from another college’s course.
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD/CAN take their First Year?
- There are no courses that must be taken during the first year.
- Ideally, students take Psych 125 in their first year.
- Students wishing to take additional courses can take a 200-level Psychology course or a Statistics course. Any student who has credit for Introductory Psychology – either through Psych 125, the AP test, or through another college’s course – may take any 200-level Psychology course, except for Psych 230 (which has Statistics as a prerequisite).
Credit for previous coursework
- Credit is given for an AP Psychology score of 4 or 5.
- Credit for transfer courses is done in consultation with the Registrar and the Chair of the Psychology Department.
- There is no placement exam for Psychology.
- Departmental Information Session (Week One).
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/psychology/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/psych/
Contacts & Department Location
The Psychology Department Office is located in Regents Hall 236.
- Psychology Department Chair: Grace Cho (firstname.lastname@example.org), x3352.
- Psychology Department Academic Administrative Assistant: Darla Frandrup (email@example.com), x3142.
To download and print, click on this link: Psychology Information Sheet