Starting a major
- Introduction to Race and Ethnic Studies is the core requirement for the major and concentration and may be taken at any time during a student’s degree progress.
- Its emphasis alternates between RACE 121 (ALS-L/MCD) literature and RACE 122 (HWC/MCD) history. Students may choose either 121 or 122 to fulfill the core requirement.
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD/CAN take their First Year?
- Must: There are no courses that must be completed during a student’s first year.
- Can: Prospective majors may count sections of Writing 111 and Religion 121 as well as seminars designated specifically for first-years only. Please consult the annual list of approved electives available on RACE’s website.
Credit for previous coursework
- RACE elective credit for a transfer course requires consultation with the program director.
- RACE 121/122 is open to all students.
- Email Deb Clark (contact information below) to be added to the student interest list to learn more about events and opportunities sponsored by Race and Ethnic Studies.
- Week One information session and Fall student advising social
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/race-ethnic-studies/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/race-and-ethnic-studies/
Contacts & Department Location
- Program Director: Jennifer Kwon Dobbs (firstname.lastname@example.org), x3264
- Administrative Assistant: Deb Clark (email@example.com), x3907
To download and print, click on this link: Race & Ethnic Studies Information Sheet