Starting a major
- Students need to complete four prerequisite courses by fall of the junior year (if necessary, courses may be taken during junior fall though the program prefers they be completed prior to that semester). The prerequisite courses include:
- Psychology 125 Principles of Psychology
- Psychology 241 Developmental Psychology
- Sociology 121 Intro to Sociology
- Biology 123 Human Biology
- With the exception of SW 221 Social Work and Social Welfare which is taken in the sophomore year or fall of the junior year, all social work coursework begins in the junior year.
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD take their First Year?
- Should: No courses are “must take courses” for the first year, but students are encouraged to get started on their prerequisites. Students cannot take any of the required social work courses in the first year.
Credit for previous coursework
- Students may use AP credit for the prerequisite courses, but should consult with a social work faculty member about using an AP credit for Human Biology as it may have implications for future graduate school admissions.
- No credit for previous coursework is given for the required social work courses for the major.
- Week One Information Sessions
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/social-work/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/socialwork/social-work/
Contacts & Department Location
- Social Work Department Chair, Susan Smalling, email@example.com Holland Hall 601
- Social Work Department AAA, Deb Clark, firstname.lastname@example.org Holland Hall 504
To download or print this sheet, click on this link: Social Work Information Sheet