Starting a major
- Most students will begin with CHN 111. In the case of a student with prior experience studying Chinese, he or she should consult their Chinese placement recommendation. If they have not taken the online placement test, they should contact the Chinese Program Director or Asian Studies Department Chair.
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD/CAN take their First Year?
- Must: Students with no prior Chinese language experience must begin the Chinese major in the first semester of their first year. For those with prior language experience, they need to be aware that they cannot begin studying the language in the second semester because Chinese 231 [first semester second year] and Chinese 301 [first semester third year] are only offered in fall term. However, if they have been placed into Chinese 232 or 302, they can begin in second semester.
- Should: Potential majors ideally should take at least one non-language course related to China or Asia in their first year. Please see the department’s online list of approved available courses.
- Can: Potential majors can enroll in both 100-level and 200-level non-language courses related to Asia or China. Please see the department’s online list of approved available courses.
Credit for previous coursework
- One elective credit is given for a score of 4 or 5 on AP Chinese, a score of 5-7 on IB, or an A on Cambridge A-Level. To fulfill the FOL requirement, students must successfully complete either CHN 231 or above [score of 4] or CHN 301 or above [score of 5].
- Credit for transfer courses or other programs are done in consultation with the Registrar, the Chinese Program Director and the Asian Studies Department Chair.
- Students are encouraged to follow their language placement results provided by the department and found on the Student Information System (SIS).
- Students needing placement help should contact the Chinese Program Director, Professor Ying Zhou (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Asian Studies Dept. hosts an informational event outlining Asian Studies and the study of Chinese and Japanese at St Olaf College in late September in conjunction with Confucius’ Birthday. An email invitation will be sent to all those who express interest or are in Asian Studies classes fall term.
- Week One Information Sessions
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog for Asian Studies: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/asian-studies/
- Catalog for Chinese: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/chinese/
- Website for Asian Studies: https://wp.stolaf.edu/asian-studies/
- Website for Chinese: https://wp.stolaf.edu/asian-studies/chinese-major/
- Planning Aid: Chinese Major Planning Worksheet
Contacts & Department Location
The Asian Studies Department Office is located on the third floor of Tomson Hall (TOH 368). All Chinese language faculty also have their offices located on third floor Tomson Hall.
- Asian Studies Department AAA: Laurel Brook (email@example.com), x3383
- Chinese Program Director: Ying Zhou (firstname.lastname@example.org), TOH 364
- Asian Studies Department Chair: Karil Kucera (email@example.com), TOH 361
To download and print, click on this link: Chinese Information Sheet