Starting a major
- Introductory courses are CS 121 and CS 125 (both satisfy [AQR]). These require no prior CS background – but incoming students should answer the CS placement questionnaire to determine which course to take, and when.
- CS majors should complete CS 251 (Software Design, SD) by end of their sophomore year. (See https://wp.stolaf.edu/cs/overview-of-cs%20courses/)
- Inquire about a CS major early on. (The CS program does special tracking of all students with declared/requested CS majors, in order to ensure they can register for CS courses they need for normal progress.)
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD/CAN take their First Year?
- Should: If curious about/ interested in a CS major, complete an intro course CS 121 or CS 125 during the first year (unless advance-placed beyond these).
- Can: Take CS 241, CS 251, or other CS courses they are qualified for.
Credit for previous coursework
- Graduation credit for an AP course (CS-A or CSP) with a 4 or 5 on AP exam.
- CS placement (www.cs.stolaf.edu/placement) is a questionnaire (not a test) that advises which CS course a student should take first, based on prior CS and computing background, college preparedness, and academic interests.
- We recommend that all students take the CS placement questionnaire, whether or not they have prior experience in CS.
- Note: Students with prior experience may receive advanced placement even if they haven’t taken a formal CS course.
- Week One departmental information sessions
- MSCS “To be or not to be” event in October
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/computer-science/
- Website: http://wp.stolaf.edu/cs/
Contacts & Department Location
- The CS program is part of the MSCS Department, office in RMS 307, x3113.
- Fall 2018 Director is Dick Brown, email@example.com, RMS 407, x3860.
- Spring 2019 Director is Olaf Hall-Holt, firstname.lastname@example.org, x3996
- Or, contact email@example.com
To print or download this sheet, click on this link: Computer Science Information Sheet