Starting a major
- Most students should begin with Economics 121, Principles of Economics, unless they have credit for previous coursework.
- In the fall, the department usually offers sections of Econ 121 for first-years only.
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD take their First Year?
- Students need not begin the economics major in the first semester and can complete it without beginning in the first year.
- Potential majors are encouraged to take ECON 121 in the first year.
- Students who intend to major in economics are encouraged to take either Math 119 or Math 120 in their first year. They must complete one of these courses before taking ECON 261, ECON 262, or ECON 263.
Credit for previous coursework
- Credit for Economics 111 is given to students who (1) receive a score of 4 or above on EITHER the AP Macroeconomics or the AP Microeconomics Examination or (2) receive a score of 5 on the IB Higher Level (HL) Examination in Economics.
- Credit for Economics 121 is given to students who (1) receive scores of 4 and above on BOTH the AP Macroeconomics and the AP Microeconomics Examinations, (2) earn a 6 or a 7 on the IB Higher Level (HL) Examination in Economics, or (3) earn an A (a*) on the Cambridge A Level Exam in Economics.
- For up-to-date information on AP/IB/Cambridge placement and credit, see https://wp.stolaf.edu/registrar/advanced-placementinternation-baccaulaureate/
- Credit toward the economics major for transfer courses or other programs are done in consultation with the Registrar and the Economics Department Chair.
- The Department recommends that students who qualify for Econ 111 via AP credit be placed in Economics 121.
- The Department recommends that students who qualify for Econ 121 via AP credit be placed in a level 2 analysis course (ECON 200-249).
- Week One Information Sessions.
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/economics/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/economics/
Contacts & Department Location
Economics Department Office: Holland Hall (HH) 317
- Economics Department AAA: Savannah Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org) x3149
- Economics Department Chair: Anthony Becker, HH 315, (email@example.com), x3974
To download and print, click on this link: Economics Information Sheet