Starting a major
- Discuss your academic interests with your College Advisor
- Use the green “Tell Us Here” button on the CIS home page to fill out a Google Form and explain your interest in an individual major.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the CIS Office in Tomson 283 for a preliminary conversation about individual majors and the proposal process, and about your ideas for a course of study.
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD/CAN take their First Year?
- Must: There are no required courses for an individual major. Each proposal sets out a course of study for that major, subject to approval.
- Should: Try to include at least one course in one or more academic areas that you might include in “your” individual major. Definitely use your GE requirements to explore disciplinary areas that would support the major. Sometimes these are important prerequisites for later courses.
Credit for previous coursework
- Proposals for individual majors may include courses already taken. In fact, a proposal is stronger when you can show that you have some experience in the academic areas that you plan to include.
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
Contacts & Department Location
The CIS program office is in Tomson 283. You can email both Dana Gross and Susan Carlson at email@example.com.
- Director: Dana Gross (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Assistant Director: Susan Carlson (email@example.com, x6707)
To download or print this sheet, click on this link: Individual Major Information Sheet