Starting a major:
- Students should focus on general education requirements (and a prospective teaching major, if also pursuing teaching licensure) during the first year.
- Students should take EDUC 290: Educational Psychology during sophomore year.
- Students need to meet with Robert McClure, Director of Social Studies Education Program, during their first year or fall semester of their sophomore year.
- Students do not need to apply to the Education Department Program if only pursuing the major without any additional licensures.
Are there courses students MUST/SHOULD/CAN take their First Year?
- Must: There are no courses that must be taken during the first year.
- Should: Students should take PSYCH 125: Principles of Psychology and one of the U.S History courses–HIST 198: America to 1865 or HIST 199: America after 1865.
- Can: Students can take ECON 121: Principles of Economics AND/OR SOAN 128: Introduction to Cultural Anthropology.
- Week One Information Session led by Robert McClure
- April Information Session led by Robert McClure
Other Information/College Catalog Link/Website Link
- Catalog: http://catalog.stolaf.edu/academic-programs/social-studies-education/
- Website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/education/
Contacts & Department Location
The Education Department Office is located in Tomson Hall 290
- Social Studies Education Program Director– Robert McClure (507) 786-3245
- Education Department AAA– Kim Foss (507) 786-3245
To download or print this sheet, click this link: Social Studies Education Information Sheet