Starting a concentration/teaching license

  • Meet with an Education faculty member as soon as possible to develop a course plan – this can be done in the first year
  • Focus on general education requirements (and a prospective teaching major, if pursuing teaching licensure) during the first year
  • Take EDUC 290 during sophomore year if planning to pursue Licensure or Non-Licensure tracks
  • Take EDUC 250 or EDUC 260 during sophomore year if pursuing the TEFL Certificate (both are only offered in the FALL)
  • For students pursuing teaching licensure, have a minimum overall and content area GPA of 2.7 to apply to the Teacher Education Program
  • Consider taking ED 170 during interim, which is designed for first-year students to work in Minneapolis classrooms

Are there courses students MUST, SHOULD, or CAN take their First Year?

  • Must: There are no courses that must be taken during the first year.
  • Should:There are no courses that should be taken during the first year.
  • Can: EDUC 170 (Interim) and concentration elective courses outside of the education department can be taken.

Informational Events

  • Week One Information Session (Robert McClure leads)
  • April Information Session (Robert McClure leads)