Nordic Studies

Starting a concentration

Students with no knowledge of Norwegian will begin with NORW 111. Students with previous coursework or knowledge should consult their placement recommendation.

Are there courses students MUST, SHOULD, or CAN take their First Year?

  • Must:  There is nothing a concentrator must do during their first year.
  • Should: Potential concentrators who do not have previous background in Norwegian, should take NORW 111 and NORW 112 during their first year.

Credit for previous coursework

Credit for transfer courses or other programs are done in consultation with the Registrar, the Norwegian Placement Director and Nordic Studies Director.


  • Students must follow their placement results provided by the department and found on the Student Information System (SIS).
  • Students needing placement help should contact the Norwegian Placement Director, Kari Lie Dorer (, x8105.

Informational Events

Week One Information Session