Starting a concentration
Most students begin with Stat 212: Statistics for the Sciences. Students with AP Statistics (4 or 5) should begin with MSCS 264: Intro to Data Science.
Are there courses students MUST, SHOULD, or CAN take their First Year?
- Must: No. Many first year students do not take any statistics courses in their first year. Beginning with statistics in the sophomore year fits well with many schedules.
- Can: Some students can take Stat 212 or MSCS 264 in their first year. Often there is not space in courses to meet first year student demand. Taking your first Stats/MSCS course your sophomore year allows plenty of time to complete the Statistics and Data Science concentration.
Credit for previous coursework
- AP scores of 4 or 5 may be sufficient preparation for Stat 272. Since many students have not had exposure to statistical software (R) we encourage beginning MSCS 264: Intro to Data Science before Stat 272.
- Credit for transfer courses or other programs are done in consultation with the Registrar, the Statistics Program Director and MSCS Chair.
- MSCS Dept. has informational “To Be or Not to Be” event in mid-October.
- Week One Information Sessions